49ers Fall to No. 2 Seed Oklahoma State in Opening Round of NCAA Tournament
LBSU ends one of best seasons in program history
May 11, 2013
LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Third-seeded Long Beach State saw its 13-match winning streak come to an end on Saturday as the 49ers fell 4-0 to No. 2 seeded Oklahoma State in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
The Cowgirls (16-8) took the first point of the match as C.C. Sardinha and Maria Alvarez won 8-3 over Anna Jeczmionka and Anne-Sophie Willems at the No.3 spot. However, LBSU (21-4) would not give the point easily as the 49ers fought back deficits at both the No. 1 and 2 spots. Klaudia Malenovska and Sarah Cantlay were down 5-4 to Meghan Blevins and Lorena Gheorge before winning two straight games to take the 7-5 lead. Back and forth play continued before Oklahoma State won two straight games to win the match, 9-7, and claim the first point. At the No. 1 spot, Ebba Unden and Karolina Rozenberg were down 7-3, but then won three games in a row before play was halted at 7-6 due to the completion of the No. 2 match.
In singles play, LBSU was unable to stifle Oklahoma State's early momemtum as the Cowgirls claimed first set wins at all six spot and then won at the No. 3, 4 and 6 spots to clinch the win. Kanyapat Narattana won 6-0, 6-1 over Anna Jeczmionka at the No. 5 spot while Karyn Guttormsen won 6-4, 6-1 over Anne-Sophie Willems at No. 6. After being shut out in the first set, senior Sarah Cantlay could not come back at the No. 3 spot, falling 6-0, 6-3 to C.C. Sardinha.
The loss ends a LBSU season that was one of the most impressive campaigns in program history. Its 21 wins tie the 2002 team for the second best in Beach tennis history and the .840 winning percentage is third-best. Next year's squad will return four members who will look to fill the void left by the three graduating seniors in Klaudia Malenovska, Sarah Cantlay and Anna Jeczmionka.
NCAA Tournament First Round: No. 2 Oklahoma State vs. No. 3 LBSU
1. No. 30 Malika Rose/Kanyapat Narattana (OKST) vs. Ebba Unden/Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU), did not finish
2. Meghan Blevins/Lorena Gheorge (OKST) def. Klaudia Malenovska/Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) 9-7
3. C.C. Sardinha/Maria Alvarez (OKST) def. Anna Jeczmionka/Anne-Sophie Willems (LBSU) 8-3
1. No. 69 Malika Rose (OKST) vs. Ebba Unden (LBSU), did not finish
2. Meghan Blevins (OKST) vs. Klaudia Malenovska (LBSU), did not finish
3. C.C. Sardinha (OKST) def. Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Kanyapay Narattana (OKST) def. Anna Jeczmionka (LBSU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Maria Alvarez (OKST) vs. Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU), did not finish
6. Karyn Guttormsen (OKST) def. Anne-Sophie Willems (LBSU) 6-4, 6-1
Official Online Store
10/21/2017 - W. Tennis
Long Beach State Tennis Continues Play at Southwest Regional
10/20/2017 - W. Tennis
Long Beach State Doubles Continue to Excel at Southwest Regionals
10/19/2017 - W. Tennis
LBSU Doubles Start Out Strong on Day 1 of ITA Southwest Regionals
10/18/2017 - W. Tennis
Beach Tennis Set for ITA Southwest Regionals in San Diego
10/8/2017 - W. Tennis