49ers Claim Third Straight Big West Title with 4-1 Win Over UC Irvine
April 28, 2013
INDIAN WELLS, Calif. - Senior Sarah Cantlay came back from first set deficit to seal the win as No. 45 Long Beach State defeated No. 31 UC Irvine in the championship match of the Big West Tournament Sunday at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.
The 49ers, who have now claimed their third straight title and ninth in the last ten years, extended their winning streak to 13 matches while snapping UCI's 20-match streak.
The match started off tight as Klaudia Malenovska and Sarah Cantlay finished first in doubles play with a 8-6 win over Ali Facey and Brooke Schweyer, however UCI quickly followed suit with a win of their own as Anna Jeczmionka and Anne-Sophie Willems fell 8-6 to Marivick Mamiit and Sarah Stadfelt. With the first point of the match on the line, Ebba Unden and Karolina Rozenberg pulled through for the 49ers with an 8-6 victory over No. 77 Franziska Goettsching and Kristina Smith, marking just the fifth loss for that duo this season.
As the match moved in to singles play, the 49ers (21-3) claimed the second point of the day when Karolina Rozenberg defeated Ali Facey 6-2, 6-4. The Anteaters (22-4) then scored their only point of the match when No. 88 Kristina Smith won 7-6 (5), 6-2 over freshman Ebba Unden at the No. 1 spot. Anna Jeczmionka proceeded to put LBSU up 3-1 with her 7-6 (5), 6-4 win at the No. 4 spot over Sarah Gong. With the remaining three matches heading into deciding sets, it was senior Sarah Cantlay who sealed the title for LBSU when she came back to beat Franziska Goettsching 5-7, 6-0, 6-1.
The victory marks the third time since 2002 that the 49ers have come into the tournament as the No. 2 seed and gone on to win the title. The last time LBSU did that was in 2007, when the 49ers swept fifth-seeded Cal Poly. Also, the 21 wins on the season tie the 2002 season as the second best in program history and the 49ers are one win away from tying the 2001 and 2006 squads with the most wins in school history.
Long Beach State guaranteed itself another trip to the NCAA tournament and will find out its first-round opponent on Tuesday at 2 p.m. PT. A live feed of the NCAA selection show can be seen here.
Big West Tournament Championship Match: #1 UC Irvine vs. #2 Long Beach State
1. Ebba Unden/Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Franziska Goettsching/Kristina Smith (UCI) 8-6
2. Klaudia Malenovska/Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) def. Ali Facey/Brooke Schweyer (UCI) 8-6
3. Marivick Mamiit/Sarah Stadfelt (UCI) def. Anna Jeczmionka/Anne-Sophie Willems (LBSU) 8-6
1. Kristina Smith (UCI) def. Ebba Unden (LBSU) 7-6 (5), 6-2
2. Marivick Mamiit (UCI) vs. Klaudia Malenovska (LBSU), Did Not Finish
3. Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) def. Franziska Goettsching (UCI) 5-7, 6-0, 6-1
4. Anna Jeczmionka (LBSU) def. Sarah Gong (UCI) 7-6 (5), 6-4
5. Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Ali Facey (UCI) 6-2, 6-4
6. Sarah Stadfelt (UCI) vs. Anne-Sophie Willems (LBSU), Did Not Finish
Photo by Steve Chen/Big West