49ers Advance to Big West Championship Match With 4-1 Victory Over UC Santa Barbara
April 27, 2013
Indian Wells, Calif. - No. 45 Long Beach State advanced to its 13th straight Big West Tournament Championship match with a 4-1 victory over UC Santa Barbara Saturday at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.
The win is the 12th in a row for the 49ers (20-3) who took an early lead by winning the doubles point. Klaudia Malenovska and Sarah Cantlay blanked Erica Cano and Priscila Garcia 8-0 while Ebba Unden and Karolina Rozenberg won 8-2 over April Scatliffe and Kiersten Meehan.
In singles play, Ebba Unden put the 49ers up 2-0 with her 6-2, 6-1 victory over April Scatliffe. Erica Cano then picked up the lone point for UCSB (15-9) with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Anne-Sophie Willems, but LBSU would recover as Anna Jeczmionka beat Priscila Garcia 6-3, 6-2 and Sarah Cantlay sealed the win as she beat Paola Cos 2-6, 6-2, 6-1.
The 49ers will face UC Irvine in the finals tomorrow for the sixth consecutive year. Long Beach State has won each of the past two years and is 7-1 all-time against the Anteaters. The match will begin at 9 a.m.
Big West Tournament Semifinals: #2 LBSU vs. #3 UC Santa Barbara
1. Ebba Unden/Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. April Scatliffe/Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) 8-2
2. Sarah Cantlay/Klaudia Malenovska (LBSU) def. Erica Cano/Priscila Garcia (UCSB) 8-0
3. Anna Jeczmionka/Anne-Sophie Willems (LBSU) vs. Stacy Yam/Paola Cos (UCSB), Did Not Finish
1. Ebba Unden (LBSU) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB) 6-2, 6-1
2. Klaudia Malenovska (LBSU) vs. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB), Did Not Finish
3. Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) def. Paola Cos (UCSB) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
4. Anna Jeczmionka (LBSU) def. Priscila Garcia (UCSB) 6-3, 6-2
5. Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) vs. Stacy Yam (UCSB), Did Not Finish
6. Erica Cano (UCSB) def. Anne-Sophie Willems (LBSU) 6-4, 6-3