49ers Close Out Northern California Road Trip with 5-2 Win Over Pacific
April 6, 2013
STOCKTON, Calif. -
No. 43 Long Beach State won its third match in as many days with a 5-2 victory over Pacific Saturday at the Hal Nelson Tennis Complex.
The 49ers (17-3, 7-1 Big West) started off strong by getting the doubles sweep for the second straight day. At the No. 3 spot, Anne-Sophie Willems and Anna Jeczmionka shut out Christiana Ferrari and Regina Suarez while Klaudia Malenovska and Sarah Cantlay only dropped one game to Gergana Boncheva and Susan Te. Ebba Unden and Karolina Rozenberg completed the sweep with a 8-5 win over Hana Ritterova and Iveta Masarova at the No. 1 spot.
In singles play, LBSU prevailed in three sets at the No. 2, 3 and 5 spots. At No. 2 Klaudia Malenovska dropped the first set 6-4 to Hana Ritterova, but came back to win the next two sets 6-3, 6-2. Sarah Cantlay, playing at No. 3, won her first set 6-3 before falling 7-6 (4) in a tiebreaker in her second set. Cantlay then bounced back to win the third set 6-2. At the No. 5 spot, Karolina Rozenberg lost her first set to Susan Te 6-4 and then went on to win 6-2, 6-2. Anne-Sophie Willems shut out her opponent for the second straight week, winning 6-0, 6-0 over Sheena Chaudhum. The Tigers (8-11, 3-4 Big West) earned wins at the No. 1 and 4 spots as Ebba Unden fell 6-4, 6-4 to Iveta Masarova and Anna Jeczmionka lost 7-5, 6-2 to Gergana Boncheva.
Long Beach State will close out its regular season at home on Saturday, hosting Cal Poly in a Big West match that is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m.
1. Unden/Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Ritterova/Masarova (PAC) 8-5
2. Malenovska/Cantlay (LBSU) def. Boncheva/Te (PAC) 8-1
3. Willems/Jeczmionka (LBSU) def. Ferrari/Suarez (PAC) 8-0
1. Iveta Masarova (PAC) def. Ebba Unden (LBSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Klaudia Malenovska (LBSU) def. Hana Ritterova (PAC) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) def. Christiana Ferrari (PAC) 3-6, 7-6 (4), 6-2
4. Gergana Boncheva (PAC) def. Anna Jeczmionka (LBSU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Susan Te (PAC) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. Anne-Sophie Willems (LBSU) def. Sheena Chaudhum (PAC) 6-0, 6-0