49ers Remain Perfect at Home, Down No. 74 Iowa 4-3
LBSU moved to 8-0 when playing at the Rhodes Tennis Center
March 20, 2013
LONG BEACH, Calif. -- -
No. 41 Long Beach State remained perfect at home and beat its third-straight ranked opponent with a 4-3 win over No. 74 Iowa Thursday afternoon at the Rhodes Tennis Center.
In doubles play, it was Iowa (7-6) who took the first point of the match. At the No. 1 spot Ebba Unden and Karolina Rozenberg fell 8-3 to Morven McCulloch and Ruth Seaborne before Klaudia Malenovska and Sarah Cantlay answered for LBSU (12-3) with an 8-2 win over Christina Harazin and Katie Zordani. With the first point of the match on the line, Anne-Sophie Willems and Anna Jeczmionka were unable to win the tiebreaker, falling 9-8 (5) to Shelby Talcott and Caitline Hindmarsh.
In singles play, it didn't take long for the 49ers to tie the match up at 1-all as Karolina Rozenberg collected an easy 6-2, 6-2 victory over Christina Harazin at the No. 4 spot. Sarah Cantlay then added another point for LBSU with her 6-4, 7-6 (4) win at No. 3 over Morven McCulloch. Iowa would answer back with a win at No. 1 to tie the match back up as Ebba Unden fell to Ruth Seaborne 7-6 (3), 6-2. Long Beach State then proceeded to collect wins at the No. 2 and 5 spots to lock up the win. Klaudia Malenovska rebounded to win over Shelby Talcott 3-6, 6-1, 6-2 and Anna Jeczmionka clinched the victory with a 7-6 (3), 6-4 win over Katie Zordani. The Hawkeyes earned the final point of the match as Anne-Sophie Willems fell in three sets to Caitlin Hindmarsh at the No. 6 spot.
The win is the fourth in a row for the 49ers, who haven't lost since March 2. LBSU will look to protect home court and avenge last year's upset on Friday when they host previously-ranked Wyoming. The match will begin at 2 p.m. and take place at the Rhodes Tennis Center.
1. Morven McCulloch/Ruth Seaborne (Iowa) def. Ebba Unden/Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) 8-3
2. Klaudia Malenovska/Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) def. Christina Harazin/Katie Zordani (Iowa) 8-2
3. Shelby Talcott/Caitline Hindmarsh (Iowa) def. Anne-Sophie Willems/Anna Jeczmionka (LBSU) 9-8 (5)
1. Ruth Seaborne (Iowa) def. Ebba Unden (LBSU) 7-6 (3), 6-2
2. Klaudia Malenovska (LBSU) def. Shelby Talcott (Iowa) 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) def. Morven McCulloch (Iowa) 6-4, 7-6 (4)
4. Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Christina Harazin (Iowa) 6-2, 6-2
5. Anna Jeczmionka (LBSU) def. Katie Zordani (Iowa) 7-6 (3), 6-4
6. Caitlin Hindmarsh (Iowa) def. Anne-Sophie Willems (LBSU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
Official Online Store
5/2/2018 - W. Tennis
Beach Tennis has Four Players Named to Big West All-Conference Team
4/30/2018 - W. Tennis
Long Beach State Women's Tennis Signs Four for Fall 2018
4/27/2018 - W. Tennis
Long Beach State Drops 4-1 Decision to Hawaii in Big West Quarterfinals
4/25/2018 - W. Tennis
Long Beach State Tennis Set to Face Hawaii in Big West Tournament Quarterfinals
4/20/2018 - W. Tennis