49ers Sweep Eastern Michigan 7-0
March 7, 2013
LONG BEACH, Calif. -
No. 41 Long Beach State got back on track Thursday afternoon with a 7-0 sweep of Eastern Michigan at the Rhodes Tennis Center.
The 49ers (9-3) moved to 5-0 when playing at home and halted a two-game skid to record their ninth win of the season. LBSU started off strong early and didn't let up, recording its first shutout since the first dual match of the season at UC Riverside on Jan. 26. Ebba Unden and Karolina Rozenberg moved up to the No. 1 spot in doubles play and won 8-0 against Nimo Mebuke and Klara Supejova to record their eighth consecutive victory. Klaudia Malenovska and Sarah Cantlay then won 8-2 over Daphne Frienrichs and Mariya Toncheva to seal the first point in LBSU's favor. Anne-Sophie Willems, playing with Anna Jeczmionka, won 8-6 at the No. 3 spot over Ankita Bhatia and Zsofia Biro.
In singles play, Long Beach State made several line-up changes as Ebba Unden competed at the No. 1 spot for the first time this season. Unden won 6-3, 6-0 against Nimo Mebuke, improving to 8-3 in dual match play. Klaudia Malenovska, competing at the No. 2 spot, halted a five-game slide to win 7-5, 6-1 over Klara Supejova and Sarah Cantlay won her sixth consecutive match with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Daphne Friedrichs. Karolina Rozenberg moved up to the No. 5 spot for the 49ers and won 6-3, 6-0 over Ankita Bhatia and Anna Jezcmionka won 6-3, 6-2 over Marita Toncheva. Anne-Sophie Willems then completed the sweep with her 6-4, 6-3 win over Zsofia Biro.
With two victories on the day, senior Sarah Cantlay continues to climb up the school record books. Cantlay moved past Stephanie Bengson on the overall wins list to claim the No. 5 spot with 149 as well as stand solely in fifth place in individual singles wins with 74. Cantlay also moved in to a 7th-place tie with Bengson on the individual doubles list with 75.
LBSU will be back in action tomorrow with a home match against No. 45 Boston College with doubles play beginning at 1 p.m. at the Rhodes Tennis Center.
1. Ebba Unden/Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Nino Mebuke/Klara Supejova (EMU) 8-0
2. Klaudia Malenovska/Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) def. Daphne Friedrichs/Mariya Toncheva (EMU) 8-2
3. Anna Jeczmionka/Anne-Sophie Willems (LBSU) def. Ankita Bhatia/Zsofia Biro (EMU) 8-6
1. Ebba Unden (LBSU) def. Nino Mebuke (EMU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Klaudia Malenovska (LBSU) def. Klara Supejova (EMU) 7-5. 6-1
3. Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) def. Daphne Friedrichs (EMU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Ankita Bhatia (EMU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Anna Jeczmionka (LBSU) def. Mariya Toncheva (EMU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Anne-Sophie Willems (LBSU) def. Zsofia Biro (EMU) 6-4, 6-3