Natalia Munoz Clinches Match for Long Beach State Over Penn, 4-3
The sophomore earned a 6-3 win in the third set to lift the Beach past the Quakers
— LBSU Women's Tennis (@LBSUBeachTennis) March 7, 2018
March 6, 2018
LONG BEACH -- Sophomore Natalia Munoz came up huge for Long Beach State as her third set victory was the match-clincher in a close 4-3 contest with Penn on Tuesday at Rhodes Tennis Center.
With the win, Long Beach State moves to 5-5 on the year, while Penn falls to 5-7 overall.
"We showed a lot of fight today in a tough match," Long Beach State head coach Jenny Hilt-Costello said. "We were down in a number of singles matches but didn't give up."
The gritty group started off strong winning the doubles point as the Beach won at No. 1 and No. 2. Munoz teamed up with Lalita Devarakonda and won in convincing fashion by a score of 6-2 over Lina Qostal and Ria Vaidya. Playing at No. 2, Lena Pacholski and Sadaf Sadeghvaziri earned a 7-5 win over OJ Singh and Jimena Rodriguez-Benito.
With a 1-0 lead heading into singles, the Beach dropped the first match on court one as Pacholski fell to Qostal, 7-5, 6-3. Penn went up 2-1 after Vaidya defeated Sadeghvaziri at the No. 4 position by a score of 6-1, 6-4.
However, Maren Helgo evened the score for Long Beach State as she picked up a 7-6, 6-2 win over Rodriguez-Benito at No. 3.
The Beach regained the lead, 3-2, after Carlota Casasampere battled back to win 2-6, 6-4, 6-1 at No. 6 over Marija Curnic. But the Quakers knotted the match 3-3 after Marta Kowalska handed Devarakonda a 6-1, 4-6, 6-4 setback.
With the match deadlocked at 3-3 and Munoz still playing, the fate of the contest rested on her shoulders. Munoz dropped the first set 5-7 to Ashley Zhu, but despite the pressure, fought back to win the second set 7-6, then took the third 6-3 to lift Long Beach State over Penn.
Long Beach State will be back on the court on Friday, March 9 when it hosts Furman at 12 p.m.
1. Lina Qostal (PENN) def. Lena Pacholski (LBSU) 7-5, 6-3
2. Natalia Munoz (LBSU) def. Ashley Zhu (PENN) 5-7, 7-6, 6-3
3. Maren Helgo (LBSU) def. Jimena Rodriguez-Benito (PENN) 7-6, 6-2
4. Ria Vaidya (PENN) def. Sadaf Sadeghvaziri (LBSU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Marta Kowalska (PENN) def. Lalita Devarakonda (LBSU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
6. Carlota Casasampere (LBSU) def. Marija Curnic (PENN) 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
1. Natalia Munoz/Lalita Devarakonda (LBSU) def. Lina Qostal/Ris Vaidya (PENN) 6-2
2. Lena Pacholski/Sadaf Sadeghvaziri (LBSU) def. OJ Singh/Jimena Rodriguez-Benito (PENN) 7-5
3. Marija Curnic/Marta Kowalska (PENN) def. Carlota Casasampere/Georgia Gulin (LBSU) 7-5
Official Online Store
3/17/2018 - W. Tennis
Long Beach State Women’s Tennis Comes Up Just Short in Loss to Purdue
3/16/2018 - W. Tennis
Long Beach State Welcomes Purdue in Non-Conference Contest
3/11/2018 - W. Tennis
Long Beach State Women’s Tennis Match Versus UC Davis Washed Out
3/10/2018 - W. Tennis
LBSU Women’s Tennis Match Against UC Davis Rained Out
3/9/2018 - W. Tennis