Feb. 16, 2013
LONG BEACH, Calif. -
No. 43 Long Beach State jumped out on No. 65 Hawai'i early to win 4-3 Saturday afternoon at the Rhodes Tennis Center.
The 49ers (6-1, 4-0 Big West) earned all four points to seal the win before Hawai'i (2-7, 2-2 Big West) was able to earn three points of their own. LBSU swept the Rainbow Wahine in doubles play as Klaudia Malenovska and Sarah Cantlay defeated Katarina Poljakova and Xenia Suworowa 8-3 while Ebba Unden and Karolina Rozenberg defeated Paulina Petriskova and Rebecca Faltusz by the same score. Anne-Sophie Willems and Hazuki Onaga closed out the 49er sweep with an 8-2 victory over Martina Kostalova and Kelsey Daguio.
Leading 1-0 going in to singles play, it didn't take Long Beach State long to jump out to a commanding 3-0 lead. Karolina Rozenberg got things started with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Kelsey Daguio at the No. 5 spot and Anne-Sophie Willems extended her winning streak to four matches with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Rebecca Faltusz. Senior Sarah Cantlay then clinched the win by defeating Martina Kostalova 6-3, 7-5. Hawai'i proceeded to take the final three matches as Klaudia Malenovska fell to formerly-ranked Katarina Poljakova 7-5, 6-4 at the No. 1 spot and Eva Rodriguez and Ebba Unden both fell in the super tiebreaker that was used in the third and deciding set in their respective matches.
The win makes it four in a row for the 49ers, who have only suffered one loss on the season and remain perfect in Big West play. LBSU will travel to North Carolina next week for three matches in three days, beginning Thursday when they take on UNC-Greensboro at 11 a.m. PT.
1. Klaudia Malenovska/Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) def. Katarina Poljakova/Xenia Suworowa (Hawaii) 8-3
2. Ebba Unden/Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Paulina Petriskova/Rebecca Faltusz (Hawaii) 8-3
3. Anne-Sophie WIllems/Hazuki Onaga (LBSU) def. Martina Kostalova/Kelsey Daguio (Hawaii) 8-2
1. Katarina Poljakova (Hawaii) def. Klaudia Malenovska (LBSU) 7-5, 6-4
2. Xenia Suworowa (Hawaii) def. Ebba Unden (LBSU) 5-7, 7-5, 11-9
3. Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) def. Martina Kostalova (Hawaii) 6-3, 7-5
4. Paulina Petriskova (Hawaii) def. Eva Rodriguez (LBSU) 4-6, 7-5, 10-5
5. Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Kelsey Daguio (Hawaii) 6-0, 6-1
6. Anne-Sophie Willems (LBSU) def. Rebecca Faltusz 6-2, 6-2
- Sport Links
- Media Guides
Beach Tennis Reveals 2016-17 Schedule08/30/2016 - W. Tennis
Long Beach State women’s tennis coach Jenny Hilt-Costello has announced her team’s...
Long Beach State Named ITA All-Academic Team Again08/29/2016 - W. Tennis
It was another strong academic year for Long Beach State Tennis, as the program was again awarded...
Beach Tennis Adds Lena Pacholski to Incoming Class06/28/2016 - W. Tennis
Long Beach State women’s tennis has added another player to the incoming class for the 2016...
Beach Tennis Welcomes Three Newcomers in 2016...06/08/2016 - W. Tennis
Long Beach State women’s tennis is bringing in a trio of players for the 2016-17 season,...
Maeva Razakasoa Drops Opening Round Match at...05/25/2016 - W. Tennis
Long Beach State junior Maeva Razakasoa suffered a 6-2, 6-3 defeat in her first round match on...
Razakasoa Opens NCAA Singles Tournament Wednesday05/24/2016 - W. Tennis
Long Beach State junior Maeva Razakasoa will open the NCAA Division I Women’s Tennis...