Long Beach State Earns 6-1 Win Over UC Santa Barbara
49ers improve to 3-0 in conference play
Feb. 10, 2013
LONG BEACH, Calif. -
No. 39 Long Beach State earned their third conference victory with a 6-1 win over UC Santa Barbara Sunday at the Rhodes Tennis Center.
LBSU (4-1, 3-0 BWC), coming off an impressive win over No. 46 LSU on Saturday, started off strong again, sweeping the Gauchos (3-2, 1-1 BWC) in doubles play. Ebba Unden and Karolina Rozenberg got things going for the 49ers, shutting out Priscilia Garcia and Megan Carter 8-0 as Hazuki Onaga and Anne-Sophie Willems then sealed the LBSU doubles point with an 8-4 win over Stacy Yam and Erica Cano. At the No. 1 spot, Klaudia Malenovska and Sarah Cantlay, who suffered their first loss in doubles on Saturday, were down early before storming back to take the 8-6 victory over April Scatliffe and Kiersten Meehan.
LBSU carried on the momentum in singles play, dropping just one match to UCSB. Sarah Cantlay, who lost for the first time in eight matches on Saturday, bounced back to earn a commanding 6-1, 6-0 win over Priscilia Garcia at the No. 3 spot. Klaudia Malenovska and Anne-Sophie Willems locked up the victory for LBSU with 6-1, 6-2 wins at the No. 1 and 6 spots respectively. Karolina Rozenberg then gained the final 49er point with a 7-5, 6-1 win over Erica Cano. Eva Rodriguez fell at the No. 4 spot to Stacy Yam, 6-3, 6-2, giving the Gauchos their lone point of the afternoon. The win keeps Long Beach State in first place in the conference. The 49ers have not dropped a conference match since March 5, 2011 when they fell 4-3 to UCSB.
LBSU will travel to San Diego State for a 2 p.m. match on Friday before returning home for a conference match with Hawaii on Saturday that will begin at 11 a.m. at the Rhodes Tennis Center.
1. Klaudia Malenovska/Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) def. April Scatliffe/Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) 8-4
2. Ebba Unden/Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Priscilia Garcia/Megan Carter (UCSB) 8-0
3. Hazuki Onaga/Anne-Sophie Willems (LBSU) def. Stacy Yam/Erica Cano (UCSB) 8-4
1. Klaudia Malenovska (LBSU) def. April Scatliffe (UCSB) 6-1, 6-2
2. Ebba Unden (LBSU) def. Kiersten Meehan (UCSB) 6-2, 6-4
3. Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) def. Priscilia Garcia (UCSB) 6-1, 6-0
4. Stacy Yam (UCSB) def. Eva Rodriguez (LBSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Erica Cano (UCSB) 7-5, 6-1
6. Anne-Sophie Willems (LBSU) def. Megan Carter (UCSB) 6-1, 6-2
Official Online Store
3/23/2018 - W. Tennis
Long Beach State Women’s Tennis Downs Dartmouth, 4-3
3/21/2018 - W. Tennis
Long Beach State Hosts Dartmouth in Final Match of Homestand
3/19/2018 - W. Tennis
Long Beach State-UC Davis Tennis Match Rescheduled for April 15
3/17/2018 - W. Tennis
Long Beach State Women’s Tennis Comes Up Just Short in Loss to Purdue
3/16/2018 - W. Tennis