LBSU Gains a 5-1 Win over Cal State Fullerton
Jan. 31, 2013
FULLERTON, Calif. - No. 39 Long Beach State improved to 2-0 in the Big West with a 5-1 win over Cal State Fullerton Thursday afternoon at Titan Courts.
In singles play, Klaudia Malenovska continued to be impressive, getting the 6-2, 6-1 win over Tiffany Mai at the No. 1 spot. Freshman Ebba Unden, who has not lost in singles play in 2013, had her match suspended due to darkness against Morgan McIntosh. Unden won the first set 7-6, and was down 6-4 in the second set when the match was suspended. Sarah Cantlay won her sixth match in a row, with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Monica Rodriguez. Anna Jeczmionka and Karolina Rozenberg capped off the 49er win with victories over Megan Sandford and Malorie de la Cruz. LBSU's lone loss came at the No. 4 spot as Eva Rodriguez fell to Emilia Borkowski 6-4, 7-5.
The win improves the 49ers to 2-0 on the season as well as in the conference. Cal State Fullerton falls to 1-4 overall and 0-1 in the Big West. LBSU finishes out its road trip with a 1:30 p.m. match Friday at Loyola Marymount.
1. Malenovska/Cantlay (LBSU) def. McIntosh/Slevcove (CSF) 8-3
2. Unden/Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Mai/Rodriguez (CSF) 8-5
3. Willems/Onaga (LBSU) def. Borkowski/Sandford (CSF) 8-4
1. Klaudia Malenovska (LBSU) def. Tiffany Mai (CSF) 6-2, 6-1
2. Ebba Unden (LBSU) vs. Monica McIntosh (CSF) unfinished
3. Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) def. Monica Rodriguez (CSF) 6-2, 6-0
4. Emilia Borkowski (CSF) def. Eva Rodriguez (LBSU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Anna Jeczmionka (LBSU) def. Megan Sandford (CSF) 6-2, 7-6 (2)
6. Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Malorie de la Cruz (CSF) 6-0, 6-3