#LBSUSand Rebounds With Two Wins Friday
No. 5 Long Beach State picks up wins over Irvine Valley, Arizona.
April 4, 2014
Irvine, Calif. - Long Beach State rebounded with a pair of victories on the road, winning at Irvine Valley 5-0 before dropping Arizona 4-1 in a neutral site match. Joy Miley and Makayla Taylor made their official debuts Friday, earning a win against Irvine Valley.
49er head coach Erika Dillard made a pair of tweaks to the lineup Friday, swapping Delainey Aigner-Swesey and Bojana Todorovic back to the top of the lineup, where the seniors won two matches. The coach also inserted freshmen Joy Miley and Makayla Taylor in the No. 4 spot, where the pair won a three-set match against Haley Jones and Alexis Radecki of Irvine Valley 21-13, 17-21, 15-8, as Miley finished with six blocks and 12 kills in the victory.
That was the closest of the five matches against the host Lasers, as the 49ers breezed to the other victories. Long Beach State's No. 5 pair of Ciana Wagner and Morea Wagner had a particularly strong day, winning 21-8, 21-10 over Shaelyn Perez and Carleigh Peterson of Irvine Valley before dominating Arizona's fifth tandem of Emily Kiser and Rachel Rhoades in a 21-6, 21-13 win with six combined blocks from the 5-8 twins, and just four errors over the course of the match.
The Wagners' win over the Wildcats was the first action of the match, and Long Beach State sealed the win as Chelsea Cabrajac and Bre Mackie topped Sarah Seiber and Taylor Arizoba 21-13, 21-10, giving The Beach a 2-1 lead. Tyler Jackson and Janisa Johnson then sealed the win with a 21-17, 21-17 win over Madi Kingdon and Ronni Lewis.
Aigner-Swesey and Todorovic featured in the final match of the day, and while the contest with McKenna and Madison Witt went all three sets, the 49er duo was able to outlast the Wildcats' top pair 21-15, 19-21, 15-13, as Todorvic balanced the pair defensively with 20 digs.
Long Beach State's next match is an important one, as the 49ers will look to stay in front of UCLA, hosting the No. 6 Bruins Tuesday on campus at the LBSU Sand Courts.
No. 5 Long Beach State 5, Irvine Valley 0
1) Delainey Aigner-Swesey/Bojana Todorovic, LBSU def. Marisa Doran/Kobi Peckich, IVC 21-13, 21-12
2) Tyler Jackson/Janisa Johnson, LBSU def. Becky Moodie/Annie Mitchem, IVC 21-18, 21-19
3) Chelsea Cabrajac/Bre Mackie, LBSU def. Emily Daily/Haley White, IVC 21-14, 21-9
4) Joy Miley/Makayla Taylor, LBSU def. Haley Jones/Alexis Radecki, IVC 21-13, 17-21, 15-8
5) Ciana Wagner/Morea Wagner, LBSU def. Shaelyn Perez/Carleigh Peterson, IVC 21-8, 21-10
No. 5 Long Beach State 4, Arizona 1
1) Delainey Aigner-Swesey/Bojana Todorovic, LBSU def. McKenna Witt/Madison Witt, UA 21-15, 19-21, 15-13
2) Tyler Jackson/Janisa Johnson, LBSU def. Madi Kingdon/Ronni Lewis, UA 21-17, 21-17
3) Chelsea Cabrajac/Bre Mackie, LBSU def. Sarah Seiber/Taylor Arizoba, UA 21-13, 21-10
4) Allie Cook/Penina Snuka, UA def. Joy Miley/Makayla Taylor, LBSU 21-17, 21-15
5) Ciana Wagner/Morea Wagner, LBSU def. Emily Kiser/Rachel Rhoades, UA 21-6, 21-13
Official Online Store
7/25/2017 - Beach Volleyball
AVP Hermosa Beach A New Highlight In Great Summer For LBSU Alumni
6/29/2017 - Beach Volleyball
51 Beach Student-Athletes Recognized As Academic All-Big West
6/8/2017 - Beach Volleyball
Kobi Pekich Selected As Third-Team Academic All-America
5/18/2017 - Beach Volleyball
Barber And Nieto Named AVCA First-Team All-Americans
5/11/2017 - Beach Volleyball