No. 6 Long Beach State Finishes Big West Challenge Unbeaten With Two More Wins
The Beach defeated Cal Poly and CSUN Sunday to go 4-0 in Huntington Beach.
Long Beach, Calif. - Long Beach State finished off the Big West Challenge in Huntington Beach a perfect 4-0 after holding off Cal Poly 3-2 and sweeping CSUN 5-0 on Sunday. No. 6 Long Beach State is now 17-3 on the year.
Nele Barber and Rachel Nieto won twice Sunday to improve to 19-1 as a pair on the year, all in the top flight. That allowed them to set a pair of school records, passing former All-Americans Caitlin Ledoux and Tara Roenicke for the most career wins as a pair in flight one, as well as passing Delainey Aigner-Swesey and Chelsea Cabrajac for the most wins in the top flight in a single season.
Their win over Hannah Hubbard and Emily Sonny of Cal Poly (10-10) was crucial in a 3-2 win. The pair won 21-19, 21-13 to hold a win, while Jenelle Hudson and Megan Kruidhof cruised to a 21-13, 21-12 win at No. 5 to put the Beach in front 2-0 in the match.
A 21-19, 21-17 win by Anete Brinke and Hailey Harward over Raeann Greisen and Heather Pembroke at No. 3 sealed the win for Long Beach State. That match would be important as Taylor Nelson and Adlee Van Winden surprised Sasha Karelov and Kobi Pekich at No. 2 after a first set loss 15-21, 21-8, 15-9. Morea Wagner and Heather Weiss also lost in a three set battle to Anna Gorman and Savannah Nieman in a battle at No. 4, falling 13-21, 21-19, 15-13.
The Beach rebounded with a 5-0 sweep of CSUN (3-9) in the final match of the day. Karelov/Pekich closed out Mattie Leiphardt and Nicky Williams 21-10, 21-15 to recover from their earlier loss in the most convincing win of the match, while Barber/Nieto remained unbeaten against Big West foes with a 21-16, 22-20 win over Julie Haake and Katie Sato.
The remaining flights also all won in straight sets to close out a busy week for Long Beach State, which ultimately saw the 49ers go 6-1 and included a win over No. 5 Hawai’i. Hawai’i won both of their matches against Sacramento State and CSUN 5-0, and Cal Poly won over Sacramento State 5-0 in the other matches Sunday in the Big West Challenge.
Long Beach State will now hit the road for the rest of the year. The next action for the Beach will be on Wednesday, April 5 when the 49ers will participate in a tri-dual with No. 2 Pepperdine and No. 13 Grand Canyon in Zuma Beach.
#6 Long Beach State 3, Cal Poly 2
1) Nele Barber/Rachel Nieto, LBSU def. Hannah Hubbard/Emily Sonny, CP 21-19, 21-13
2) Taylor Nelson/Adlee Van Winden, CP def. Sasha Karelov/Kobi Pekich, LBSU 15-21, 21-8, 15-9
3) Anete Brinke/Hailey Harward, LBSU def. Raeann Greisen/Heather Pembroke, CP 21-19, 21-17
4) Anna Gorman/Savannah Nieman, CP def. Morea Wagner/Heather Weiss, LBSU 13-21, 21-19, 15-13
5) Jenelle Hudson/Megan Kruidhof, LBSU def. Brayden Gruenwald/Taylor Gruenwald, CP 21-13, 21-12
#6 Long Beach State 5, CSUN 0
1) Nele Barber/Rachel Nieto, LBSU def. Julie Haake/Katie Sato, CSUN 21-16, 22-20
2) Sasha Karelov/Kobi Pekich, LBSU def. Mattie Leiphardt/Nicky Williams, CSUN 21-10, 21-15
3) Anete Brinke/Hailey Harward, LBSU def. Erin Indermill/Aeryn Owens, CSUN 21-12, 21-16
4) Morea Wagner/Heather Weiss, LBSU def. Kristey Markle/Autumn Russell, CSUN 21-15, 21-15
5) Jenelle Hudson/Megan Kruidhof, LBSU def. Nic Pinkney/Nico Stork, CSUN 21-19, 21-12
Official Online Store
4/19/2018 - Beach Volleyball
No. 6 Long Beach State Drops Regular Season Finale 4-1 To No. 1 UCLA
4/17/2018 - Beach Volleyball
No. 6 Beach Volleyball Sweeps No. 16 Grand Canyon, But Comes Up Just Short At No. 5 USC
4/16/2018 - Beach Volleyball
Megan Kruidhof, Rachel Nieto Named Big West Pair Of The Week
4/16/2018 - Beach Volleyball
No. 6 Beach Volleyball Closes Regular Season With Three Critical Matches
4/15/2018 - Beach Volleyball