No. 8 Beach Volleyball Sweeps Missouri State, Colorado Mesa
Long Beach State grabs two more wins on Monday.
Long Beach, Calif. - Using seven different pairs on the day, No. 8 Long Beach State still took care of business against Missouri State and Colorado Mesa, winning both matches 5-0 at home on Monday.
Long Beach State (5-1) lost only one set against the two teams in a dominant showing on Monday. The Beach used their regular lineup against Missouri State, and jumped out to an early 2-0 lead. Anete Brinke and Sasha Karelov won 21-15, 21-7 over Aubrey Cheffey and Julia Hanson at No. 2 behind nine kills with no errors from Karelov, while Zoi Konstantopoulou and Nicci Reinking also won in straight sets in the fourth flight, 21-14, 21-12.
Hannah Matt and Marisa Ramsey won 21-7, 21-13 over Lynsey Wright and Ivy Reynolds at No. 5, as Matt had 15 kills and three aces to pace the pair and seal the win. Nele Barber and Rachel Nieto were also straight set winners over Taylor Fricano and Veronica Snelling in the top flight, winning 21-13, 21-12. Hailey Harward and Kristyna Adamcikova rallied from a first-set hiccup to close out the win 19-21, 21-10, 15-5.
Against Colorado Mesa, Long Beach State had four players make their debuts against NCAA competition, as Megan Kruidhof and Claire Newlander played in the fourth flight, winning 21-6, 21-10 over Lindy Dixon and Hailey Crane, while Emma Kirst and Alexis Patterson defeated Natalie Todd and Ava Norwood 21-17, 21-8.
Meanwhile, the rest of the lineup remained the same. Adamcikova and Harward dispatched Sam Ritter and Kasi Gilfert 21-7, 21-10. Brinke finished with three blocks and three aces as she, along with Karelov, defeated Hana Peterman and Megan Gianinetti 21-7, 21-9, and Barber/Nieto finished the day with a 21-11, 21-15 win over Taylor Woods and Katie Scherr in the top flight.
Long Beach State returns to action on Thursday, March 15, hosting four high-profile matches at the LBSU Sand Courts beginning at 11 a.m. No. 17 Loyola Marymount will also face Long Beach State’s two opponents on Thursday, with TCU starting the day against the Lions before taking on the Beach. The two teams will then play in the same order against No. 4 Florida State, with the clash between the Seminoles and 49ers finishing the day at approximately 4:15.
#8 Long Beach State 5, Missouri State 0
1) Nele Barber/Rachel Nieto, LBSU def. Taylor Fricano/Veronica Snelling, MSU 21-13, 21-12
2) Anete Brinke/Sasha Karelov, LBSU def. Aubrey Cheffey/Julia Hanson, MSU 21-15, 21-7
3) Kristyna Adamcikova/Hailey Harward, LBSU def. Sam Brinkman, MSU 19-21, 21-10, 15-5
4) Zoi Konstantopoulou/Nicci Reinking, LBSU def. Sarah Denner/Caroline Finnell, MSU 21-14, 21-12
5) Hannah Matt/Marisa Ramsey, LBSU def. Lynsey Wright/Ivy Reynolds, MSU 21-7, 21-13
#8 Long Beach State 5, Colorado Mesa 0
1) Nele Barber/Rachel Nieto, LBSU def. Taylor Woods/Katie Scherr, CMU 21-11, 21-15
2) Anete Brinke/Sasha Karelov, LBSU def. Hana Peterman/Megan Gianinetti, CMU 21-7, 21-9
3) Krystina Adamcikova/Hailey Harward, LBSU def. Sam Ritter/Kasi Gilfert, CMU 21-7, 21-10
4) Megan Kruidhof/Claire Newlander, LBSU def. Lindy Dixon/Hailey Crane, CMU 21-6, 21-10
5) Emma Kirst/Alexis Patterson, LBSU def. Natalie Todd/Ava Norwood, CMU 21-17, 21-8
Official Online Store
5/17/2018 - Beach Volleyball
Nele Barber Selected As Honorable Mention All-American
5/11/2018 - Beach Volleyball
Karelov, Reinking Battle To Three Sets But Are Eliminated From USAV Collegiate Beach Championship
5/10/2018 - Beach Volleyball
Sasha Karelov And Nicci Reinking Take Second Place In Pool B At USAV Championships
5/10/2018 - Beach Volleyball
Beach Volleyball Has Three Pairs Recognized In AVCA Top Flight Awards
5/9/2018 - Beach Volleyball