March 11, 2013
Long Beach, Calif. - On a beautiful day in Long Beach, the 49er Sand Volleyball team opened the season with a huge win, defeating No. 4 Florida State 4-1 on Tuesday. No. 2 Long Beach State earned wins from No. 5 to No. 2, with the only loss coming at No. 1.
Tyler Jackson and Janisa Johnson started the day off for the 49ers with a straight set win over the Pellitteri sisters of Florida State, winning at No. 5 21-16, 21-19 behind 16 kills and 19 digs from the senior Johnson. Jocelyn Neely and Lauren Minkel then gave the 49ers a second win on the day, winning the first set against Brown and Wickstrom 21-17, falling the in the second 17-21, before rallying to win the third set 15-11. Minkel made 24 digs in the match, and Neely finished with seven kills in the final set.
In the most thrilling match of the day, Long Beach State sealed the victory with a win at No. 3 from Delainey Aigner-Swesey and Libby Fontanilla. The pair rolled in their first set, winning 21-10 over Jace Pardon and Marija Milosavljevic behind four blocks from Aigner-Swesey, but dropped the second set 21-17. In the third set, however, Long Beach State rallied from a late deficit to grab the win 16-14, as Aigner-Swesey finished off the match with her fifth block. The junior also had five aces and 13 kills to pace LBSU to the win.
Bre Mackie and Chelsea Cabrajac each finished with 12 kills as the pair defeated Pavels and Plessy 21-18, 21-16 to give the 49ers their final win of the day. Aurora Davis and Fatma Yildirim defeated Caitlin Ledoux and Alex Reid 21-18, 21-19 as Reid was pressed into service in replacement of All-American Tara Roenicke who is day-to-day with an injury. However, the freshman Reid finished with 13 kills in her first sand volleyball match.
Florida State also played UCLA in a neutral-site match earlier in the day. The Seminoles defeated UCLA in the first match ever for the Bruins, winning 5-0 and taking four matches in straight sets.
The 49ers return to action on Wednesday, when they host two more matches, as No. 8 Florida International and Loyola Marymount come to the LBSU Sand Courts. Long Beach State will start the day by playing the Panthers at 2 p.m.
FSU 5, UCLA 0
1) Davis-Yildirim, FSU def. Norton-Reeves, UCLA 22-20, 21-15
2) Pavels-Plessy, FSU def. Strehlow-Nightengale, UCLA 21-15, 16-21, 18-16
3) Pardon-Milosavljevic, FSU def. Todorovic-Moenoa, UCLA 21-17, 21-16
4) Brown-Wickstrom, FSU def. Lowe-Drolson, UCLA 21-12, 21-11
5) K.Pellitteri-S.Pellitteri, FSU def. Klineman-Inoyue, UCLA 21-7, 21-13
LBSU 4, FSU 1
1) Davis-Yildirim, FSU def. Ledoux-Reid, LBSU 21-18, 21-19
2) Mackie-Cabrajac, LBSU def. Pavels-Plessy, FSU 21-18, 21-16
3) Aigner-Swesey, LBSU def. Pardon-Milosavljevic, FSU 21-10, 17-21, 16-14
4) Neely-Minkel, LBSU def. Brown-Wickstrom, FSU 21-17, 17-21, 15-11
5) Johnson-Jackson, LBSU def. K.Pellitteri-S.Pellitteri, FSU 21-16, 21-19
- 49er Beach Volleyball
- Overall Statistics
- 2008 Olympic Medalists
- Long Beach State's Olympic Tradition
- 2012 Summer Volleyball Camps
- Long Beach State's Beach Alumni
- Long Beach State's Beach Volleyball Legacy
- Misty May-Treanor's Official Site
- Media Guides
Long Beach State Cruises To Day Two Of The Big ...04/29/2016 - Beach Volleyball
A clean 5-0 sweep over CSUN gave Long Beach State a short day in a busy first day of the...
Long Beach State Hosts Inaugural Big West Beach...04/27/2016 - Beach Volleyball
Long Beach State and the Big West Conference will partner to host the first Big West Championship...
Beach Knocked Out In Final Day Of Aloha...04/23/2016 - Beach Volleyball
All five matches Saturday between Grand Canyon and Long Beach State went three sets, but...
Beach Opens Dual Play In Honolulu With Two Wins04/22/2016 - Beach Volleyball
Long Beach State picked up a pair of wins at the Outrigger Resorts Aloha Invitational, defeating ...
Long Beach State Drops Two Pairs Matches At...04/21/2016 - Beach Volleyball
Long Beach State lost two pairs matches Thursday night to open play at the Outrigger Resorts...
No. 6 Beach Pushes Pepperdine But Unable To...04/19/2016 - Beach Volleyball
No. 6 Long Beach State closed out the home slate by grabbing the first two sets of the day...