March 11, 2013
Long Beach, Calif. - On a beautiful day in Long Beach, the 49er Sand Volleyball team opened the season with a huge win, defeating No. 4 Florida State 4-1 on Tuesday. No. 2 Long Beach State earned wins from No. 5 to No. 2, with the only loss coming at No. 1.
Tyler Jackson and Janisa Johnson started the day off for the 49ers with a straight set win over the Pellitteri sisters of Florida State, winning at No. 5 21-16, 21-19 behind 16 kills and 19 digs from the senior Johnson. Jocelyn Neely and Lauren Minkel then gave the 49ers a second win on the day, winning the first set against Brown and Wickstrom 21-17, falling the in the second 17-21, before rallying to win the third set 15-11. Minkel made 24 digs in the match, and Neely finished with seven kills in the final set.
In the most thrilling match of the day, Long Beach State sealed the victory with a win at No. 3 from Delainey Aigner-Swesey and Libby Fontanilla. The pair rolled in their first set, winning 21-10 over Jace Pardon and Marija Milosavljevic behind four blocks from Aigner-Swesey, but dropped the second set 21-17. In the third set, however, Long Beach State rallied from a late deficit to grab the win 16-14, as Aigner-Swesey finished off the match with her fifth block. The junior also had five aces and 13 kills to pace LBSU to the win.
Bre Mackie and Chelsea Cabrajac each finished with 12 kills as the pair defeated Pavels and Plessy 21-18, 21-16 to give the 49ers their final win of the day. Aurora Davis and Fatma Yildirim defeated Caitlin Ledoux and Alex Reid 21-18, 21-19 as Reid was pressed into service in replacement of All-American Tara Roenicke who is day-to-day with an injury. However, the freshman Reid finished with 13 kills in her first sand volleyball match.
Florida State also played UCLA in a neutral-site match earlier in the day. The Seminoles defeated UCLA in the first match ever for the Bruins, winning 5-0 and taking four matches in straight sets.
The 49ers return to action on Wednesday, when they host two more matches, as No. 8 Florida International and Loyola Marymount come to the LBSU Sand Courts. Long Beach State will start the day by playing the Panthers at 2 p.m.
FSU 5, UCLA 0
1) Davis-Yildirim, FSU def. Norton-Reeves, UCLA 22-20, 21-15
2) Pavels-Plessy, FSU def. Strehlow-Nightengale, UCLA 21-15, 16-21, 18-16
3) Pardon-Milosavljevic, FSU def. Todorovic-Moenoa, UCLA 21-17, 21-16
4) Brown-Wickstrom, FSU def. Lowe-Drolson, UCLA 21-12, 21-11
5) K.Pellitteri-S.Pellitteri, FSU def. Klineman-Inoyue, UCLA 21-7, 21-13
LBSU 4, FSU 1
1) Davis-Yildirim, FSU def. Ledoux-Reid, LBSU 21-18, 21-19
2) Mackie-Cabrajac, LBSU def. Pavels-Plessy, FSU 21-18, 21-16
3) Aigner-Swesey, LBSU def. Pardon-Milosavljevic, FSU 21-10, 17-21, 16-14
4) Neely-Minkel, LBSU def. Brown-Wickstrom, FSU 21-17, 17-21, 15-11
5) Johnson-Jackson, LBSU def. K.Pellitteri-S.Pellitteri, FSU 21-16, 21-19
- 49er Beach Volleyball
- Overall Statistics
- 2008 Olympic Medalists
- Long Beach State's Olympic Tradition
- 2012 Summer Volleyball Camps
- Long Beach State's Beach Alumni
- Long Beach State's Beach Volleyball Legacy
- Misty May-Treanor's Official Site
- Media Guides
LBSU Knocked Out Of NCAA Beach Volleyball...05/05/2017 - Beach Volleyball
Tied 1-1 with LSU in the elimination bracket, Long Beach State and Tigers had all three matches...
Kobi Pekich Named Elite 90 Award Winner For...05/04/2017 - Beach Volleyball
Senior Kobi Pekich was presented with the NCAA Elite 90 Award for Beach Volleyball at Thursday...
Beach Volleyball Begins NCAA Championship...05/02/2017 - Beach Volleyball
Selected as the sixth seed, Long Beach State will begin play in the NCAA Beach Volleyball...
Mike Campbell Named Big West Coach of the Year ...05/02/2017 - Beach Volleyball
Long Beach State Beach Volleyball was well represented among the All-Big West awards, as head...
Beach Volleyball Garners At-Large Selection For...04/30/2017 - Beach Volleyball
Long Beach State was picked as one of two at-large selections for the 2017 NCAA National Beach...
Join Beach Volleyball For Selection Show Watch ...04/29/2017 - Beach Volleyball
No. 5 Long Beach State will find out if the team will make its first trip to Gulf Shores, Alabama...