Getting to know Kim Sowder
Sowder has led the 49ers to four NCAA Tournament berths and two Big West Conference championships in her six years at the helm
July 26, 2012
1. Can you detail your coaching path to Long Beach State? After graduating from Long Beach State in 1993 I was offered an assistant softball coaching position at the University of the Pacific (UOP). I coached at UOP for two years and gained valuable experience. I was fortunate to be offered the assistant coaching position at Long Beach State in 1995 and was thrilled to be coming back to my home at Long Beach State. I was an assistant coach under Pete Manarino for 12 years. I absolutely loved my time as an assistant coach working with so many great people. We have always had great continuity within our staff and it feels like family. After the 2006 season, Pete decided to make a change with his career and I was fortunate to be given the opportunity to be the next head coach at The Beach. Thanks Vic. I'm currently going into my seventh year as the head coach and love everything about Long Beach State. The athletic department has always been so supportive to the entire staff and our student athletes and it's an honor to be a part of this family at The Beach.
2. Beyond winning a championship, what are your goals for the upcoming season? Our goals are centered on our vision for LBSU softball which are: 1. Encourage the passion needed to take their talents to the highest level both in the classroom and on the field. 2. Through discipline and hard work represent LBSU athletics in a positive manner. 3. Learn to work with others as a team and put the success of the team first. "Team over Self"
3. Who is an exciting new player we will see on you team next season? We have four exciting newcomers that I believe will all be great additions and will contribute to the success of our team. I hope your reading about all of them on this website when season comes around. :)
4. What is your recruiting philosophy?
We look for the most talented softball players that we believe will be successful in the classroom at LBSU and that will fit into our family. We are also looking for the "x" factor in a recruit as well. Their hustle, energy, leadership qualities, the way they carry themselves on the field and the way they interact with their teammates, coaches and parents.
5. How important are the summer months to the development of your team? We cannot train with our team during the summer months under NCAA rules. The players all receive specific workouts for the summer which will prepare them for when they return in September. Many of our players play for women's open teams in the summer to work on a specific area of the game that they need extra work on or just to get more experience. The summertime is the best time to get stronger and healthier.
6. If someone asked you for a recommendation where to eat in the Long Beach area, where would you send them and what would you tell them to order? Schooner or Later for breakfast - Great food and a beautiful view. Sushi Studio for lunch - The Crunch rolls are the Best. Tequila Jacks for dinner- Great chicken tostada and the atmosphere is fun.
7. Outside of coaching and sports, what are your hobbies? I like spending time with my family, watching my boys play their sports and hanging out with family friends. Home decorating, exercising, and reading a good book.
8. If you had a weekend off during the season and you weren't allowed to work, what would you do with the free time? Just yesterday I had a great day off. I went down to Shoreline Village with family and friends and we rollerbladed up and down the boardwalk. At 5:30, the weather was perfect and the view was great. After about an hour of rollerblading we went to Tequila Jacks for a delicious dinner and watched the sunset. I couldn't ask for a better evening.
9. What vacation spot has been your favorite to visit? My favorite vacation spot to hang out is Maui. We love to stay at the Sands of Kahana. The weather is always great and there is something for everyone to do. Deep sea fishing, reading, relaxing, paddle boarding, hanging at the pool, snorkling, exercising, cooking great meals and having family dinners every night which we never make enough time for at home.
10. Dodgers or Angels, and why? Lakers or Clippers, and why? Dodgers and Angels. I grew up going to Dodger games with my grandparents. Now, we live close to Angel Stadium so it's a lot easier to get to an Angel game and of course "Jered Weaver is Great".
11. Excluding your team, what "49er Moment" from the 2011-12 season was your favorite? Womens soccer getting to the Elite Eight was the best. It inspired the entire athletic department and gave us a great start to the year. Men's basketball was also special to watch. Watching that group of seniors have their best season and the crowds at the Pyramid were awesome.
Official Online Store
12/7/2017 - Softball
Support The New Soccer/Softball Clubhouse With Locker Room Donations
11/30/2017 - Softball
Long Beach State Soccer/Softball Clubhouse Unveiled
9/8/2017 - Softball
Softball To Hold Showcase Clinic On Saturday, December 16
11/13/2017 - Softball
Softball Adds Four In Fall Signing Period
9/21/2017 - Softball