Libby Fontanilla, along with Alma Serna, won the first-ever match at Long Beach State.
March 13, 2012
Long Beach, Calif. - Long Beach State started its sand volleyball era in perfect fashion on Tuesday, opening up the 2012 season with a 5-0 home win over Loyola Marymount in front of 200. Caitlin Ledoux and Tara Roenicke led the 49ers with a convincing win in the top flight, but the 49ers didn't drop a set on the day.
Tuesday's format featured two matches playing at once, so flights 4 and 5 started the day. Alma Serna and Libby Fontanilla used their quickness and strong serving to defeat Ashley Maxfedt and Ellie Selleck 21-14, 21-14, while Tyler Jackson and Janisa Johnson rebounded from a slow start in the first set to defeat Jasmine Rankins 23-21, 21-11 in the 5th flight.
The best match of the day was the clinching match for the 49ers, as Chelsea Cabrajac and Haleigh Hampton faced Kenna Krouse and Taylor Scoscia. Close throughout, Long Beach State was down 20-18 in the first set, but rallied with four straight points to win 22-20. Krouse/Scoscia had another set point in the second set as well, but a block from Hampton gave the 49ers the win in an exciting 22-20, 23-20 win to clinch the match.
The 49ers top team in Ledoux and Roenicke cruised to a 21-14, 21-13 win over Betsi Metter and Felicia Arriola, while Lauren Minkel and Delainey Aigner-Swesey completed the sweep with a 21-12, 21-16 win over Caitlin DeWitt and Litara Keil.
Long Beach State is one of 15 teams participating in this first year of sand volleyball, which has been classified as an "emerging" sport by the NCAA. Tuesday's match was the first ever for the 49ers.
Long Beach State returns to action this weekend at the USC Tournament, held from Friday to Sunday at the Anneberg Beach House in Santa Monica, Calif., which will feature a number of formats with participating teams USC, Long Beach State, Pepperdine, and Florida State.
Long Beach State 5, Loyola Marymount 0
1) Caitlin Ledoux/Tara Roenicke (LBSU) def. Felicia Arriola/Betsi Metter (LMU) 21-14, 21-13
2) Delainey Aigner-Swesey/Lauren Minkel (LBSU) def. Caitlin DeWitt/Litara Keil (LMU) 21-12, 21-16
3) Chelsea Cabrajac/Haleigh Hampton (LBSU) def. Kenna Crouse/Taylor Scoscia (LMU) 22-20, 23-21
4) Libby Fontanilla/Alma Serna (LBSU) def. Ashley Maxfeldt/Ellie Selleck (LMU) 21-14, 21-14
5) Tyler Jackson/Janisa Johnson (LBSU) def. Amber Mirabello/Jasmine Rankins (LMU) 23-21, 21-11
- 49er Sand Volleyball
- Overall Statistics
- 2008 Olympic Medalists
- Long Beach State's Olympic Tradition
- 2012 Summer Volleyball Camps
- Media Guides