Complete LBSU Game Notes
No. 2 Seed Long Beach State (22-10) vs. No. 4 Seed UC Santa Barbara (16-15)
Date: Saturday, March 11
Time: 4 p.m. (PT)
Arena: Honda Center (18,336)
Location: Anaheim, Calif.
Live Stats: StatBroadcast.com
Radio Talent: Jason Schwartz
TV: Fox Sports Prime Ticket
Long Beach State Takes on UC Santa Barbara in Championship Game
With a 61-60 victory in the semifinals, No. 2 seed Long Beach State will face off against No. 4 seed UC Santa Barbara in the Big West Tournament Championship game at 4 p.m. on Saturday, March 11. The game will be televised on Fox Sports Prime Ticket.
Big West Tournament Schedule
Tuesday, March 7 - First Round
No. 5 UC Riverside 92, No. 8 UC Irvine 60
No. 6 Hawaii 71, No. 7 Cal Poly 50
Wednesday March 8 - Quarterfinals
No. 3 CSUN 71, No. 6 Hawaii 64
No. 4 UC Santa Barbara 81, No. 5 UC Riverside 71
Friday, March 10 - Semifinals
No. 4 UC Santa Barbara 73, No. 1 UC Davis 59
No. 2 Long Beach State 61, No. 3 CSUN 60
Saturday, March 11 - Championship
No. 2 Long Beach State vs. No. 4 UC Santa Barbara - 4:00 p.m.
• The Beach have won five of their last six contests and own a 22-10 overall record.
• After defeating CSUN in the Big West Tournament semifinals, Long Beach State will make its first appearance in the Championship game since 2012 and its 12th overall appearance. The Beach are 4-7 in the Big West Tournament Final contest and are 3-9 when playing UCSB in the tournament.
• With a 22-10 overall record, Long Beach State has secured its third straight 20-win season marking the first time since 1991 that the Beach has strung together three or more consecutive 20-win seasons.
• Raven Benton notched her second 20-point game of the season, marking her 14th career 20-point game. Benton has done her job to cement herself in Long Beach State history as the senior eclipsed the 500 career rebound mark earlier this year becoming just the 13th player in LBSU women's basketball program history to enter the 1,000 point-500 rebound club.
• Benton's name shows up in the Long Beach State record book on a number of occasions as her 417 made free throws are good for third all-time at LBSU and her 342 defensive rebounds rank her eighth in program history.
• Senior point guard Anna Kim became the 25th member in program history to tally 1,000 points in her career earlier this season. She has now amassed 1,103 career points to rank 19th all-time at Long Beach State. Kim is another constant in the record books as she ranks fourth all-time in three-point field goal percentage (37.2), sixth in games played (127), eighh in three-point field goals made (112), and 10th in free throw percentage (74.4).
• Madison Montgomery appears in the record book three different time as the senior forward ranks fifth all-time in games played (128), seventh in defensive rebounds (347), and ninth in blocks (117).
• Joining her fellow seniors in the record book, Jewelyn Sawyer has accumulated 395 defensive rebounds in her four years at Long Beach State to rank fifth all-time.
• Not to be outdone by the seniors on the squad, junior guard Jessica Gertz recently made her way into the Long Beach State record book with a three-point field goal percentage of 36.4. With three triples against CSUN in the Big West Tournament semifinals, Gertz broke into the LBSU top 10 with 109 made three-point field goals.
• The Beach has led the Big West in steals in each of the last three seasons and is currently sitting atop the league with 313 which ranks them 39th in the nation.
• In addition to leading the league in steals, LBSU also leads the Big West in Turnover Margin (+6.48), Three-Point Field Goals Made (256), and turnovers forced (20.71).
• LBSU tied a school record with 20 made three-pointers versus Cal State Fullerton, while Jessica Gertz led the way with a school record setting nine triples for a total of a career-high 29 points.
• Long Beach State was tabbed as the favorite to claim the 2016-17 Big West title in both the coaches preseason poll and the media poll.
Scouting the Gauchos
UC Santa Barbara earned a No. 4 seed in the Big West Conference tournament after closing out the regular season with a pair of wins over UC Irvine (71-53) and Cal Poly (77-63). The Gauchos have now won their last four contests knocking off No. 5 seed UC Riverside in the quarterfinals by a score of 81-71, and upsetting top-seeded UC Davis, 73-59, in the semifinals.
The Gauchos are 16-15 overall and averaging 62.9 points per game on 41.6 percent shooting from the field. They own a 34.1 three-point field goal percentage.
Drew Edelman, Sarah Porter, and Drea Toler are the Gauchos' leading scorers as Edelman averages 11.6 points per game, while Porter averages 10.1, and Toler averages 10.0. Edelman is also the team's leading rebounder with 7.5 boards per game.
Series vs. UC Santa Barbara
Long Beach State and UC Santa Barbara are in a tight-knit all-time series which is deadlocked 49-49. This season, the two teams split the series as UCSB won in Santa Barbara, Calif., and LBSU was victorious in Long Beach, Calif. The Gauchos hold the all-time advantage when playing at a neutral site as they are 7-1. In their last meeting in the Big West Tournament, Long Beach State dropped a 63-54 decision to UC Santa Barbara in the Championship game in 2012. This year, the Beach will be looking to avenge that loss and earn the victory.
LBSU in the Big West Tournament
Long Beach State is 37-25 when playing in the Big West Conference and 4-7 when appearing in the finals. Last year, the Beach went 1-1 in the tournament with a victory over Cal Poly (54-52) in the quarterfinals, followed by a 76-60 setback to Hawaii in the semifinals. When playing at the Honda Center during the Big West Tournament, Long Beach State is 2-2.
- 2016-17 Season
- Final Season Stats
- Career Stats
- Preseason Prospectus
- Roster (PDF)
- Schedule (PDF)
- Media Guide
- General Information
- 2017 Camp Information
- Ticket Information
- Team History
- Walter Pyramid
- Photo Galleries
- Media Guides
Long Beach State Wins Big West Championship,...03/11/2017 - W. Basketball
For the first time since 1992, the Long Beach State women’s basketball team has punched its...
Long Beach State Takes on UC Santa Barbara in...03/11/2017 - W. Basketball
With a 61-60 victory in the semifinals, No. 2 seed Long Beach State will face off against No. 4...
The Beach Advance to the Big West Championship ...03/10/2017 - W. Basketball
The second-seeded Long Beach State women’s basketball team utilized a strong defensive...
Long Beach State Faces CSUN in Big West...03/09/2017 - W. Basketball
Long Beach State heads into the Big West Tournament as a No. 2 seed after finishing the regular...
Benton, Kim, Sawyer Sweep All-Big West...03/06/2017 - W. Basketball
Long Beach State women’s basketball made history as the Beach swept the Specialty Awards...
The Beach Come up Short at Hawaii to Close...03/05/2017 - W. Basketball
The Long Beach State women’s basketball team dropped a 66-63 contest to Hawaii on the road ...