No. 2 Seed Long Beach State (21-10) vs. No. 3 Seed CSUN (18-13)
Date: Friday, March 10
Time: 2:30 p.m. (PT)
Arena: Honda Center (18,336)
Location: Anaheim, Calif.
Live Stats: StatBroadcast.com
Radio Talent: Jason Schwartz
Long Beach State Faces CSUN in Big West Tournament Semifinals on Friday
Long Beach State heads into the Big West Tournament as a No. 2 seed after finishing the regular season with 21-10 overall mark and owning a 12-4 conference ledger. The Beach will face No. 3 seed CSUN on Friday, March 10 at 2:30 p.m. at the Honda Center.
Big West Tournament Schedule
Tuesday, March 7 - First Round
No. 5 UC Riverside 92, No. 8 UC Irvine 60
No. 6 Hawaii 71, No. 7 Cal Poly 50
Wednesday March 8 - Quarterfinals
No. 3 CSUN 71, No. 6 Hawaii 64
No. 4 UC Santa Barbara 81, No. 5 UC Riverside 71
Friday, March 10 - Semifinals
No. 1 UC Davis vs. No. 4 UC Santa Barbara - 12:00 p.m.
No. 2 Long Beach State vs. No. 3 CSUN - 2:30 p.m.
Saturday, March 11 - Championship
Semifinal Winner No. 1 vs. Semifinal Winner No. 2 - 4:00 p.m.
• The Beach have won four of their last five contests finished the regular season with a 21-10 overall record and a 12-4 Big West Conference mark to earn a No. 2 seed into the conference tournament.
• With a 21-10 overall record, Long Beach State has secured its third straight 20-win season marking the first time since 1991 that the Beach has strung together three or more consecutive 20-win seasons.
• Raven Benton came off the bench in the game against UCSB and scored a season-high 23 points, marking her 13th career 20-point game. Benton has done her job to cement herself in Long Beach State history as the senior eclipsed the 500 career rebound mark earlier this year becoming just the 13th player in LBSU women's basketball program history to enter the 1,000 point-500 rebound club.
• Benton's name shows up in the Long Beach State record book on a number of occasions as her 411 made free throws are good for third all-time at LBSU and her 339 defensive rebounds rank her eighth in program history.
• Senior point guard Anna Kim became the 25th member in program history to tally 1,000 points in her career earlier this season. She has now amassed 1,089 career points to rank 20th all-time at Long Beach State. Kim is another constant in the record books as she ranks fourth all-time in three-point field goal percentage (37.2), sixth in games played (126), ninth in three-point field goals made (110), and 10th in free throw percentage (74.4).
• Madison Montgomery appears in the record book three different time as the senior forward ranks fifth all-time in games played (127), seventh in defensive rebounds (345), and ninth in blocks (117).
• Joining her fellow seniors in the record book, Jewelyn Sawyer has accumulated 391 defensive rebounds in her four years at Long Beach State to rank fifth all-time.
• Not to be outdone by the seniors on the squad, junior guard Jessica Gertz recently made her way into the Long Beach State record book with a three-point field goal percentage of 36.4. Gertz is also just one made three shy of breaking into the top 10 all-time.
• The Beach has led the Big West in steals in each of the last three seasons and is currently sitting atop the league with 300 which ranks them 39th in the nation.
• In addition to leading the league in steals, LBSU also leads the Big West in Turnover Margin (+6.48), Three-Point Field Goals Made (248), and turnovers forced (20.71).
• LBSU tied a school record with 20 made three-pointers versus Cal State Fullerton, while Jessica Gertz led the way with a school record setting nine triples for a total of a career-high 29 points.
• Long Beach State was tabbed as the favorite to claim the 2016-17 Big West title in both the coaches preseason poll and the media poll.
Scouting the Matadors
CSUN earned a No. 3 seed in the Big West Conference after winning nine-straight matches between Jan. 25 and Feb. 25. The Matadors bring an overall record of 18-13 into the Big West Tournament semifinal game and finished the season with a 10-6 conference mark.
The Matadors received a bye into the quarterfinals of the Big West Tournament where they came from behind and knocked off No. 6 seed Hawaii, 71-64, to secure a spot in the semifinals.
The Matadors are averaging 66.5 points per game and shooting nearly 40 percent from the field, while shooting 33.7 percent from long distance and 64.6 percent from the free throw line. They lead the Big West with a 7.5 rebounding margin and are averaging 44.7 boards per game.
Channon Fluker leads CSUN in scoring (18.1 points per game), rebounding (12.0 rebounds per game) and blocking (75), all of which are tops in the conference. Serafina Maulupe is second on the team with 13.5 points per game, while leading the Matadors with 28 steals.
Series vs. CSUN
Long Beach State and CSUN will meet for the 58th time in program history and the Beach lead the all-time series 39-18. This season, the two teams split the series as CSUN defeated LBSU, 63-56, in Northridge, and the Beach held off the Matadors, 63-60, to snap their nine-game winning streak, at the Pyramid. When playing at a neutral site, Long Beach State owns a 3-1 record over CSUN. The two teams have only met once before in the Big West Tournament, and LBSU won that battle by a score of 57-52 in the quarterfinals in 2012 which were hosted by CSUN.
LBSU in the Big West Tournament
Long Beach State is 36-25 when playing in the Big West Conference and 11-8 when appearing in the semifinals. Last year, the Beach went 1-1 in the tournament with a victory over Cal Poly (54-52) in the quarterfinals, followed by a 76-60 setback to Hawaii in the semifinals. When playing at the Honda Center during the Big West Tournament, Long Beach State is 1-2.
- 2016-17 Season
- Final Season Stats
- Career Stats
- Preseason Prospectus
- Roster (PDF)
- Schedule (PDF)
- Media Guide
- Media Guides
Jody Wynn To Leave The Beach After Eight Seasons04/14/2017 - W. Basketball
Following a memorable 2016-17 campaign that saw Long Beach State Women’s Basketball win the...
Long Beach State Drops Hard-Fought Contest at...03/17/2017 - W. Basketball
Long Beach State, which earned a 15 seed in the NCAA Tournament, pushed No. 8 Oregon State, a No....
Long Beach State Set to Face No. 8 Oregon State...03/14/2017 - W. Basketball
The Long Beach State women's basketball team earned a No. 15 seed in the NCAA Tournament and will...
LBSU Earns No. 15 Seed, Will Take on No. 2 Seed...03/13/2017 - W. Basketball
The Long Beach State women’s basketball team earned a No. 15 seed in the NCAA Tournament...
Long Beach State to Hold NCAA Selection Show...03/12/2017 - W. Basketball
After capturing the Big West Tournament title, the Long Beach State women’s basketball team...
Long Beach State Wins Big West Championship,...03/11/2017 - W. Basketball
For the first time since 1992, the Long Beach State women’s basketball team has punched its...