Long Beach State Hits The Road, Televised On ESPN3 Saturday
The Beach takes on CSUN on Thursday and UC Irvine on Saturday
Complete LBSU Game Notes
Long Beach State (15-7, 6-1 BWC) at CSUN (9-11, 2-1 BWC)
Date: Thursday, Feb. 2
Time: 7 p.m. (PT)
Arena: The Matadome (2,000)
Location: Northridge, Calif.
Live Stats: GoMatadors.com
Radio Talent: Jason Schwartz
Long Beach State (15-7, 6-1 BWC) at UC Irvine (3-18, 1-6 BWC)
Date: Saturday, Feb. 4
Time: 2 p.m. (PT)
Arena: Bren Events Center (5,000)
Location: Irvine, Calif.
Live Stats: UCIrvineSports.com
Radio Talent: Jason Schwartz
TV Talent: Trent Rush (PxP) & Maryalyce Jeremiah (Analyst)
Long Beach State Hits The Road, Televised On ESPN3 On Saturday
Long Beach State travels to CSUN and UC Irvine this week as the Beach will go up against the Matadors on Thursday, Feb. 2 at 7 p.m., before traveling to Irvine to face off against the Anteaters on Saturday, Feb. 4 at 2 p.m.. The Long Beach State-UC Irvine game will be televised on ESPN3 with Trent Rush and Dr. Maryalyce Jeremiah on the call.
• With a 6-1 Big West Conference record, Long Beach State is in first place in the league standings after the Beach have gotten off to their best start under head coach Jody Wynn,
• The Beach has won seven of their last eight games and own an 8-1 record when playing inside the Walter Pyramid.
• Senior Raven Benton eclipsed the 500 career rebound mark at UC Davis as she became just the 13th player in LBSU women's basketball program history to enter the 1,000 point-500 rebound club.
• With a total of 317 defensive rebounds, Benton has made her way into the LBSU career records as she sits in ninth place in program history.
• Senior Anna Kim is just 23 points away from tallying 1,000 points in her career. She is also just two made three-pointers away from breaking into the Long Beach State top 10. Kim currently has 101 made three-point field goals and 977 total points.
• The Beach has led the Big West in steals in each of the last three seasons and is currently sitting atop the league with 212 which ranks them 39th in the nation.
• In addition to leading the league in steals, LBSU also leads the Big West in Turnover Margin (+5.6) and Three-Point Field Goals Made (177).
• Long Beach State defeated No. 22 South Florida, 73-68, on Dec. 19 to open the Play4Kay Shootout marking the 49ers' first win over a ranked opponent since Dec. 13, 2014 when they defeated then-No. 18 Cal, 58-56, in overtime.
• LBSU drained 14 three-pointers against Cal Poly to rank second all-time in treys in a single-game.
• Long Beach State was tabbed as the favorite to claim the 2016-17 Big West title in both the coaches preseason poll and the media poll.
Scouting the Matadors
CSUN is currently 9-11 overall and 2-4 in the Big West. The Matadors recenly snapped a four-game losing streak after defeating UC Santa Barbara, 75-61, at the Matadome on Jan. 25. Their only other conference win came against Cal State Fullerto (58-41) on Jan. 5.
The Matadors are shooting 38.8 percent from the field, while averaging 65.9 points per game. However, their opponents have been averaging 70.5 point per contest with a shooting percentage of 39.6. CSUN leads the Big West with a rebounding margin of 3.3. They also are tops in the league in blocked shots (90) and offensive rebounds per game (14.8).
Channon Fluker leads the Matadors as she averages a double-double with 15.3 points per game and 10.9 rebounds per game. Her rebounding average leads the Big West, as does her blocks per game average of 2.5. Additionally, Fluker leads the conference in defensive rebounds (6.9) and offensive rebounds per contest (4.0). Serafina Maulupe is CSUN's second leading scorer with 13.1 points per game.
Series vs. CSUN
Long Beach State and CSUN will meet for the 56th time in program history and the Beach lead the all-time series 38-17. LBSU has won the last two meetings after sweeping CSUN last season. Prior to the season sweep in 2016, the Matadors had won the previous four meetings. When playing at the Matadome, Long Beach State owns a 15-8 record over CSUN.
Scouting the Anteaters
UC Irvine is looking to snap a four-game losing streak after dropping to 3-18 on the year and 1-6 in Big West Conference action. The Anteaters' last victory came at the hands on CSUN when UC Irvine topped the Matadors 77-52 in the Bren Events Center on Jan. 11.
As a team, UC Irvine is shooting 37 percent from the field and 31.2 percent from three-point range. The Anteaters' defense has allowed opponents to average 73.1 points per game, while shooting 42.9 percent from the field.
The Anteaters have three double-figures scorers on the team in Shereen Sutherland (12.7 points per game), Andee Ritter (11.8 ppg) and Sabrina Engelstad (10.7 ppg). Sutherland is also UCI's leading rebounder with 148 boards of an average of 7.0 per contest. Ritter, meanwhile, leads the league in steals per game (2.2) and three-point field goals made (58).
Series vs. UC Irvine
Long Beach State and UC Irvine will face off for the 69th time in program history and the Beach hold the series lead 55-13. LBSU has won the last four meetings after season sweeps of UCI in 2015 and 2016. The Anteaters are looking for thier first win over the 49ers since Feb. 6, 2014, when they defeated LBSU, 78-58, in Irvine, Calif. When playing at UC Irvine, Long Beach State owns a 26-6 record.
Long Beach State returns to the Walter Pyramid on Thursday, Feb. 9 when it hosts Cal State Fullerton at 7 p.m.
Official Online Store
3/6/2018 - W. Basketball
Long Beach State Drops 79-66 Contest to UC Riverside in Big West Tournament
3/5/2018 - W. Basketball
Long Beach State Set to Battle UC Riverside in Big West Tournament First Round
3/5/2018 - W. Basketball
Long Beach State Women’s Basketball Has Three Named Big West All-Conference
3/3/2018 - W. Basketball
Beach Women's Hoops Wins Fifth Straight with 67-54 Win Over CSUN
3/1/2018 - W. Basketball