Complete LBSU Game Notes
Long Beach State (13-7, 4-1 BWC) at Cal State Fullerton (4-15, 1-5 BWC)
Date: Thursday, Jan. 26
Time: 7 p.m. (PT)
Arena: Titan Gym (4,000)
Location: Fullerton, Calif.
Live Stats: FullertonTitans.com
Radio Talent: Jason Schwartz
Long Beach State (13-7, 4-1 BWC) vs. UC Riverside (10-8, 4-1 BWC)
Date: Saturday, Jan. 28
Time: 7 p.m. (PT)
Arena: Walter Pyramid (4,200)
Location: Long Beach, Calif.
Live Stats: BeachLiveStats.com
Radio Talent: Jason Schwartz
Long Beach State Takes on Cal State Fullerton, UC Riverside This Week
Long Beach State travels to Cal State Fullerton for a Thursday night match up at 7 p.m. inside Titan Gym, before returning to the Walter Pyramid for a Saturday afternoon contest against UC Riverside at 4 p.m. Both conference games will be broadcast on KBeach.org with Jason Schwartz on the call as well as on BigWest.TV.
• With a 4-1 record, Long Beach State sits in a three-way tie with UC Riverside and UC Santa Barbara for firt place in the Big West Conference standings.
• Long Beach State defeated No. 22 South Florida, 73-68, on Monday, Dec. 19 to open the Play4Kay Shootout marking the 49ers' first win over a ranked opponent since Dec. 13, 2014 when they defeated then-No. 18 Cal, 58-56, in overtime.
• The Beach has won five of their last six games and own a 7-1 record when playing inside the Walter Pyramid.
• Senior Raven Benton eclipsed the 500 career rebound mark at UC Davis as she became just the 13th player in LBSU women's basketball program history to enter the 1,000 point-500 rebound club.
• Long Beach State has three players averaging double-figures on the year led by Madison Montgomery's 11.0 points per game. Additionally Benton (10.4 ppg) and Jewelyn Sawyer (10.0 ppg) round out the 49ers double-figure scoreres.
• The Beach has led the Big West in steals in each of the last three seasons and is currently sitting atop the league with 196 which ranks them 37th in the nation.
• In addition to leading the league in steals, LBSU also leads the Big West in Turnover Margin (+6.2) and Three-Point Field Goals Made (164).
• LBSU drained 14 three-pointers against Cal Poly to rank second all-time in treys in a single-game.
• Long Beach State was tabbed as the favorite to claim the 2016-17 Big West title in both the coaches preseason poll and the media poll.
Scouting the Titans
Cal State Fullerton owns a 4-15 overall record and a 1-15 mark in Big West Conference action. The Titans' only league victory on the year came against UC Irvine on Jan. 14 when the Titans defeated the Anteaters 64-53 in Fullerton, Calif. All four of Cal State Fullerton's victories this season have come inside Titan Gym.
The Titans are averaging 58.9 points per game and are being outscore by opponents by 9.4 points per game. They are shooting 37.2 percent from the field, while allowing their counterparts to shot 40.5 percent. Cal State Fullerton trails its opponents in rebounding (39.6 - 38.1), assists (16.5 - 11.5), steals (8.4 - 5.9), and blocks (2.9 - 1.8) per game.
Iman Lathan is the Titans' leading scoring with 16.8 points per game to rank second in the Big West. She is one of two Titans who average double-figures on the year including Daeja Smith (10.5 ppg). Smith is also Cal State Fullerton's leading rebounder with 7.9 boards per game. She also leads the team with 24 blocks.
Series vs. Cal State Fullerton
Long Beach State and Cal State Fullerton will meet for the 112th time in program history and the Beach lead the all-time series 71-40. The 49ers have won the last five meetings as the Titans look for their first victory over LBSU since March 1, 2014. When playing in Fullerton, Long Beach State owns a record of 31-16.
Scouting the Highlanders
UC Riverside comes into the Walter Pyramid with a 10-8 overall record and is 4-1 in Big West Conference play to put the Highlanders in a three-way tie for first in the standings along with Long Beach State and UC Santa Barbara. UCR is coming off of a pair of wins over UC Irvine and Cal State Fullerton. Their only loss in league action came at the hands of the Gauchos in Santa Barbara.
The Highlanders are averaging 64.2 points per game while shooting 42 percent, while their opponents are shooting 38.9 percent and 61.9 points per contest, which leads the league in scoring defenese. UCR also leads the Big West in three-point field goal percentage as the Highlanders shoot 35.4 percent from beyond the arc.
Rejane Verin leads the conference in scoring averaging 17.1 points per game to go along with 48 percent shooting from the field. She leads a trio of double-figure scorers which includes Simone DeCoud (12.2 ppg) and Lauren Holt (11.2 ppg). Verin is also the team's leader in rebounding (7.9 rpg) as well as assists (83) and blocks (17).
Series vs. UC Riverside
Long Beach State and UC Riverside are set to meet for the 36th time in program history as the Highlanders hold the edge in the all-time series 19-16. UCR has won the last two meetings agaisnt LBSU, as the Beach look for their first win over the Highlanders since March 7, 2015. When playing at the Pyramid, Long Beach State leads UC Riverside 9-7.
Long Beach State hits the road next week as the Beach take on CSUN (Feb. 2 at 7 p.m.) and UC Irvine (Feb. 4 at 2 p.m.) on the road.
- 2016-17 Season
- Final Season Stats
- Career Stats
- Preseason Prospectus
- Roster (PDF)
- Schedule (PDF)
- Media Guide
- General Information
- 2017 Camp Information
- Ticket Information
- Team History
- Walter Pyramid
- Photo Galleries
- Media Guides
Long Beach State Wins Big West Championship,...03/11/2017 - W. Basketball
For the first time since 1992, the Long Beach State women’s basketball team has punched its...
Long Beach State Takes on UC Santa Barbara in...03/11/2017 - W. Basketball
With a 61-60 victory in the semifinals, No. 2 seed Long Beach State will face off against No. 4...
The Beach Advance to the Big West Championship ...03/10/2017 - W. Basketball
The second-seeded Long Beach State women’s basketball team utilized a strong defensive...
Long Beach State Faces CSUN in Big West...03/09/2017 - W. Basketball
Long Beach State heads into the Big West Tournament as a No. 2 seed after finishing the regular...
Benton, Kim, Sawyer Sweep All-Big West...03/06/2017 - W. Basketball
Long Beach State women’s basketball made history as the Beach swept the Specialty Awards...
The Beach Come up Short at Hawaii to Close...03/05/2017 - W. Basketball
The Long Beach State women’s basketball team dropped a 66-63 contest to Hawaii on the road ...