The Beach Travels to Cal State Fullerton, Hawaii in This Week's Big West Action
LBSU takes on Cal State Fullerton on Thursday and Hawaii on Saturday
Long Beach State (2-14, 0-2 BWC) at Cal State Fullerton (6-9, 1-1 BWC)
Date: Thursday, Jan. 11
Time: 7 p.m.
Arena: Titan Gym (4,000)
Location: Fullerton, Calif.
Live Stats: FullertonTitans.com
Radio Talent: Jay Holloway
Live Stream: FullertonTitans.com
Long Beach State (2-14, 0-2 BWC) at Hawaii (7-8, 0-2 BWC)
Date: Saturday, Jan. 13
Time: 7:30 p.m. (PT)
Arena: Stan Sheriff Center (10,300)
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Live Stats: StatBroadcast.com
Radio Talent: Jay Holloway
TV: Spectrum Sports
The Long Beach State women's basketball team will conclude its road swing this week as the Beach travels to Cal State Fullerton for a Thursday night contest, before making their way to Hawaii for a Saturday evening game. LBSU and Fullerton will face off Thursday, Jan. 11 at 7 p.m. at Titan Gym, and the Beach and Hawaii will meet on Saturday, Jan 13 at 7:30 p.m. at the Stan Sheriff Center in Honolulu.
• The Beach opened up Big West Conference action last week at UC Santa Barbara and UC Riverside. With a pair of losses, Long Beach State is looking for its first conference win.
• LBSU is looking to snap a seven-game losing streak which dates back to December 7 when the Beach defeated Grand Canyon, 65-63, in Phoenix, Ariz.
• Long Beach State is averaging 11.1 steals per game which leads the Big West. The Beach have led the league in steals in each of the last four seasons. LBSU's 177 steals on the year also rank 21st in the nation.
• The Beach also leads the Big West in turnovers forced with 20.00 per contest which also ranks 41st in the nation.
• Freshman guard Shanaijah Davison has led the team offensively with 11.3 points per game as she has recorded eight double-figure scoring games and three 20-plus point showings thus far. Her most recent double-figure scoring game came against VCU at the NJIT Christmas Tournament where she notched 13 points.
• Freshman guard Ma'Qhi Berry poured in a career-high 20-point performance at UC Riverside, notching her first 20-point effort of her career.
• Senior guard Cecily Wilson is the team's leader in steals with 41 as she leads the league in swipes with an average of 2.6 per game. Junior Martina McCowan is second in the conference with 31 steals for an average of 2.4 per game.
Scouting the Titans
Cal State Fullerton opened Big West Conference action last week with a 1-1 record bringing its overall record to 6-9. The Titans are coming off of a 70-68 loss to CSUN as they look to bounce back against the Beach.
The Titans are averaging 63.3 points per game, while allowing 64.3. They are shooting 40.0 percent from the field, while their opponent have connected on 363-of-862 for a 42.1 shooting percentage.
Jade Vega is the Titans' leading scorer with 12.5 points per game. She leads a trio of Titans who average double-figures in Daeja Smith (11.7 points per game) and Hannah Thompson (11.5 points per game).
Smith is the team's leading rebounders with 9.3 boards per game, while also posting a team-high 25 blocks. Vega leads Cal State Fullerton with 56 assists, while Carolyn Gill is the team leader in steals with 22.
Series vs. Cal State Fullerton
Long Beach State and Cal State Fullerton will meet for the 114th time in program history and the Beach lead the all-time series 70-43. Long Beach State has won the last seven meetings against the Titans as Cal State Fullerton will be looking for its first win over LBSU since 2014.
Scouting the Rainbow Wahine
Hawaii owns a 7-8 overall record and the Rainbow Wahine are 0-2 in Big West Conference action after having dropped games to Cal State Fullerton and UC Davis last week.
The Rainbow Wahine are averaging 63.5 points per game, while shooting 40.9 percent from the field. Meanwhile, their opponents are shooting 43.7 percent and averaging 71.1 points per contest.
Hawaii has a pair of players who average double-figures in Sarah Toeaina (14.2 points per game) and Julissa Tago (10.6 points per game).
Makenna Woodfolk is the team's leading rebounder with 6.1 boards per game. Tia Kanoa leads the Rainbow Wahine with 74 assists and 25 steals.
Series vs. Hawaii
Long Beach State and UC Riverside will meet for the 36th time in program history and the Rainbow Wahine hold a slight edge over the Beach with an 18-17 all-time series record. In their last meeting, Hawaii held off Long Beach, 66-63, in Honolulu to end the regular season. The Beach, however, were victorious over the Rainbow Wahine a few months earlier collecting a 68-57 win at the Walter Pyramid.
Long Beach State hosts UC Santa Barbara on Saturday, Jan. 20 in its home conference opener at 4 p.m. inside the Walter Pyramid. The contest also ends the Beach's six-game road swing and marks LBSU's first home contest in one month.
Official Online Store
7/17/2018 - W. Basketball
Long Beach State Unveils New Court Design at Walter Pyramid
7/2/2018 - W. Basketball
Long Beach State Women's Basketball Adds Trio For 2018-19
3/6/2018 - W. Basketball
Long Beach State Drops 79-66 Contest to UC Riverside in Big West Tournament
3/5/2018 - W. Basketball
Long Beach State Set to Battle UC Riverside in Big West Tournament First Round
3/5/2018 - W. Basketball