No. 2 Long Beach State Travels to the Windy City to Take on Lewis, Loyola Chicago
The Beach play at Lewis on Friday and at Loyola on Saturday
No. 2 Long Beach State (4-0) vs. No. 11 Lewis (0-2)
Date: Friday, Jan. 12
Time: 5 p.m. (PT)
Arena: Neil Carey Arena (1,100)
Location: Romeoville, Ill.
Live Stats: LewisFlyers.com
Live Stream: LewisFlyers.com
No. 2 Long Beach State (4-0) vs. No. 7 Loyola Chicago (1-1)
Date: Saturday, Jan. 13
Time: 5:30 p.m. (PT)
Arena: Gentile Arena (5,200)
Location: Chicago, Ill.
Live Stats: StatBroadcast.com
The Long Beach State men’s volleyball team heads to the Midwest to go up against No. 11 Lewis and No. 7 Loyola Chicago. The Beach will take on the Flyers of Lewis on Friday, January 12 at 5 p.m. (PT) at Neil Carey Arena, before going up against the Ramblers on Saturday, January 13 at 5:30 p.m. (PT). The match at Loyola will be televised on ESPN3.
About The Beach
• Long Beach State kicked off the first week of the 2018 season with a 4-0 record after defeating McKendree (3-0), Princeton (3-0), NJIT (3-1), and Saint Francis (Pa.) (3-0).
• The Beach competed at the UCSB ASICS Tournament last week in which they went 3-0 and juniors TJ DeFalco and Josh Tuaniga were named to the All-Tournament Team.
• Following the first week of the season, freshman middle blocker Simon Anderson was named Big West Freshman Player of the Week for his impressive performance in his first week as a collegiate student-athlete. He finished the week with 26 kills and 11 blocks, while hitting .500 (26-5-42).
• Junior setter Josh Tuaniga has racked up a total of 2,617 career assists to rank him eighth all-time at Long Beach State. Tuaniga is just three helpers away from moving into seventh place.
• Junior TJ DeFalco has accumulated 972 kills over his LBSU career. He is just 28 kills away from becoming just the 21st player in program history to break the 1,000 kill milestone.
• After a strong first week of the season, LBSU is led by TJ DeFalco’s 3.31 kills per set and 1.85 digs per set. Josh Tuaniga leads the team with 10.42 assists per set, while Kyle Ensing and Simon Anderson are tied for the team lead in blocks per set (0.85).
In the Rankings
Long Beach State is currently ranked No. 2 in the country only behind reigning National Champion, Ohio State. The Beach were favored to win the Big West Conference in its inaugural season.
The Beach’s opponents this week, Lewis and Loyola Chicago, are both ranked in the top 15. Lewis comes in at No. 11 after having opened the year with an 0-2 record, while Loyola moved up to No. 7 after going 1-1 last week.
This season, LBSU will take on eight of the 15 nationally ranked teams as the Beach face a very competitive schedule.
Scouting The Flyers
No. 11 Lewis opened the 2018 season with a pair of losses to No. 7 UC Irvine (3-0) and No. 3 BYU (3-1) last week. The Flyers are looking to get back on the winning track in their home opener against No. 2 Long Beach State.
Ryan Coenen is the team’s leading attacker with 24 kills for a 3.43 kills per set average. Behind Coenen is Kyle Bugee who is averaging 2.57 kills per set. Bugee is also the team’s leader in digs with eight for an average of 1.14 per set.
The Flyers rotate two setters in Ryan Van Loo and Matt Yoshimoto. Van Loo has dished out 38 assists (6.33 per set), while Yoshimoto has registered 19 (3.17 per set).
At the net, Lewis is led by Tyler Mitchem who has posted five blocks for an average of 0.71 per set.
Series vs. Lewis
Long Beach State and Lewis will meet on Friday for just the seventh time in program history. The Beach leads the all-time series 4-2. The contest marks the first match between the two teams since 2016 when LBSU defeated Lewis, 3-1. Friday’s contest marks the first time the two teams will face off in Romeoville, Ill., as all previous six matches were played in Long Beach, Calif.
Scouting The Ramblers
No. 7 Loyola Chicago hosts No. 2 Long Beach State in its home opener after having opened the 2018 season on the road. The Ramblers kicked off the 2018 season defeating No. 3 BYU, 3-2, in Provo, Utah, but then dropped a 3-1 decision to No. 7 UC Irvine.
The Ramblers own a .276 attack percentage and are averaging 12.22 kills per set on 11.00 assists per set. At the net, Loyola has been solid in its first two outings posting 2.39 blocks per set.
Collin Mahan is the team’s leading attacker as he averages 3.00 kills per set to go along with 1.67 digs per set. Garrett Zolg has paced the Ramblers’ defense with 9.56 assists per set as the team’s setter. He has also been on point in the back row leading the squad in digs with 2.89 per set.
At the net, Jeff Jendryk has been solid putting up 10 blocks (one solo, nine block assists) for an average of 1.11 per set.
Series vs. Loyola Chicago
Long Beach State and Loyola Chicago will go head-to-head for just the fifth time in program history, and the Beach owns a 4-0 all-time series record over the Ramblers. The all-time series dates back to 2010 when then Beach defeated the Ramblers, 3-1 in Long Beach. Since then, the two teams have met twice in Santa Barbara, Calif., where LBSU went 2-0, and once last season at the Walter Pyramid, when Long Beach State swept Loyola. Saturday’s contest marks the first time the two teams will face off in Chicago, Ill.
Following the pair of matches in the Windy City, Long Beach State will return to the state of California and take on Stanford at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 20 at Maples Pavilion.
Official Online Store
7/17/2018 - M. Volleyball
Long Beach State Unveils New Court Design at Walter Pyramid
7/6/2018 - M. Volleyball
DeFalco, Ensing, Watten Represent Long Beach State in Volleyball Nations League Competition
5/24/2018 - M. Volleyball
DeFalco, Ensing Set to Compete with U.S. Men’s National Team this Summer
5/23/2018 - M. Volleyball
Nick MacRae to Serve as Assistant Coach for 2018 U.S. Boys' Youth National Team
5/17/2018 - M. Volleyball