Aug 27, 2013
Long Beach, Calif. -
- Long Beach State begins the 2013-14 season in search of its fourth consecutive Big West regular season championship. The 49ers have won in each of the last three seasons, and matched UNLV as the last team to win three straight Big West regular-season crowns. The Running Rebels also won four straight in that period, a mark that LBSU will try to equal this season.
- The 49ers have also made three straight postseason appearances over the last three seasons. In 2011-12, the 49ers won the regular season title as well as the Big West Conference Tournament, advancing to the NCAA postseason for the 9th time in school history. Over the last three years, the 49ers have also made two NIT appearances, two of seven in the school's history. That was the postseason destination for the 2012-13 ballclub, which fell in the first round on the road to eventual NIT champion Baylor.
- Returning for the 2013-14 season is First-Team All-Big West selection Mike Caffey. The junior point guard averaged 12 points per game for the 49ers last season, second-most on the team, while making 126 assists with 91 turnovers on the year. Caffey also averaged four rebounds per game while playing heavy minutes for LBSU, starting every game and averaging 32.8 minutes played per contest.
- Also returning for the 49ers is forward Dan Jennings. The senior is in his third year with the program after transferring from West Virginia. Last year, Jennings averaged 8.4 points per game, and was second on the team with a 6.4 rebounds per game average. Jennings also shot 51.9 percent from the field, and made 29 blocks on the year as a top low-post presence
- The 49ers will welcome an additional Division I transfer midway through the year in Tyler Lamb, who joins Long Beach State after transferring from UCLA. Lamb averaged 9.0 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game as a sophomore, while starting in 32 of UCLA's 33 games during the 2011-12 season. The junior could be eligible to join the LBSU lineup as early as the Dec. 19 game against USC in the Walter Pyramid.
- Three other letterwinners also return for Long Beach State along with Caffey and Jennings. Junior G/F Kris Gulley made 10 starts for the 49ers during the 2012-13 season, while playing in 31 games and averaging 3.9 points per game, while forwards Nick Shepherd and Edgar Garibay will return this season for Long Beach State.
- Long Beach State will welcome in seven other newcomers this season, one of the largest incoming classes in recent memory for the 49ers. Among junior college players, the 49ers welcome David Samuels, A.J. Spencer, McKay LaSalle, Charles Lockett and Christian Griggs-Williams, all of whom will compete for time immediately, while the 49ers also add two new freshmen in Anson Moye and Desmond Ross.
Starters Returning (2)
G - Mike Caffey (6-0, 170, Jr.) 12.0 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 3.8 apg, 47 steals, First-Team All-Big West
F - Dan Jennings (6-8, 255, Sr.) 8.4 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 25 assists, 29 blocks, 30 games started
Starters Lost (3)
G/F - James Ennis (6-7, 210, Sr.) 16.5 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 2.12 apg, 58 steals, 43 blocks, Big West Player of the Year, 2nd Round NBA Draft Pick
F - Tony Freeland (6-7, 225, Jr.) 11.0 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 33 assists, 21 steals, Honorable Mention All-Big West
G - Keala King (6-5, 196, Jr.) 9.8 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.86 apg, Honorable Mention All-Big West
Lettermen Returning (3)
F - Edgar Garibay (6-10, 250, Sr.) 1.5 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 6 GP
G/F - Kris Gulley (6-7, 180, Jr.) 3.9 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 31 GP, 10 GS
F - Nick Shepherd (6-9, 214, Jr.) 0.7 ppg. 0.9 rpg, 22 GP
Lettermen Lost (4)
G/F - Deng Deng (6-6, 176, Fr.) 5.3 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 14 blocks
F - Gatete Djuma (6-9, 214, Fr.) 0.7 ppg, 0.4 rpg
G - Peter Pappageorge (6-0, 182, Sr.) 6.9 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 33 GP, 12 GS
F - Kyle Richardson (6-7, 225, Jr.) 2.2 ppg, 1.4 rpg
F - Christian Griggs-Williams (6-8, 240, Jr.) Milwaukee, Wisc. (Nicolet HS/Mesa CC)
G - Tyler Lamb (6-5, 200, Jr.) Ontario, Calif. (Mater Dei HS./UCLA)
G - McKay LaSalle (6-3, 175, Jr.) Bountiful, Utah (Bountiful HS/Eastern Utah CC/Saddleback CC)
F - Charles Lockett (6-7, 240, Jr.) Santa Clarita, Calif. (Montclair Prep/Saddleback CC/Benedictine)
F - David Samuels (6-7, 212, Jr.) Bronx, N.Y. (Phelps Prep/Collin CC)
F - A.J. Spencer (6-3, 200, Jr.) Shawnee, Kan. (Shawnee Mission Northwest HS/Hutchinson CC)
- Sport Links
- Media Guides
Heartbreak For Long Beach State As Florida Gulf...11/25/2016 - M. Basketball
After 40 hard-fought minutes, Long Beach State scored the first five points of overtime, but a...
Long Beach State Finishes Battle4Atlantis...11/25/2016 - M. Basketball
Long Beach State finishes the team’s second road trip of the season by facing the...
Long Beach State Stunned By Binghamton 72-6411/24/2016 - M. Basketball
A strong start defensively slipped away in a hot-shooting second half for Binghamton as the...
Thanksgiving Hoops On Tap For Long Beach State ...11/24/2016 - M. Basketball
A Thanksgiving treat for Long Beach State is a chance for a neutral-site game on the team’s...
Long Beach State Ends Up Just Short In Another ...11/22/2016 - M. Basketball
Long Beach State played another classic in Seattle on Tuesday, leading for more than half of the ...
Long Beach State Faces Washington In Seattle...11/21/2016 - M. Basketball
Up next is a rematch of the first round of the NIT from last season, as Long Beach State travels ...