Long Beach State To Open Big West Tournament Thursday Against Cal State Fullerton
The game will tip at 2:30 p.m. and be televised live on Fox Sports West.
Long Beach, Calif. -
Game: (5) Long Beach State vs. (4) Cal State Fullerton
Date: Thursday, March 8, 2018
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Location: Anaheim, Calif.
Arena: Honda Center (18,336)
TV: Fox Sports West
TV Talent: Sam Farber, Corey Maggette, Courtney Sweet
Radio: HD 88.1-3, 22 West Radio
Radio Talent: Jason Schwartz
Webcast: Fox Sports Go
Live Stats: beachlivestats.com
• It’s time for March Madness. Long Beach State begins the postseason Thursday in the Big West Tournament, facing Cal State Fullerton at 2:30 p.m. at the Honda Center in Anaheim. The game will be broadcast live nationally on Fox Sports West.
• The two teams split the season series, with both teams winning at home. The Titans were led by Kyle Allman’s 25 points in an 81-71 win at Titan Gym, while Temidayo Yussuf’s 19 point, 14 rebound effort led the Beach to an 81-73 win in the Walter Pyramid.
• Long Beach State has traditionally had the better of the Titans in the postseason. The Beach has not lost to Cal State Fullerton in the Big West Tournament since the 1977-78 season.
• Senior Gabe Levin closed Big West play second in the league in scoring at 21.4 points per game, and also ranks in the top 10 in rebounding as a dual threat. Levin earned First-Team All-Big West honors, leading a trio selected for the Beach as Temidayo Yussuf and Deishuan Booker also both earned honorable mention.
• Levin’s three-year career ranks among the best at the Beach. Levin is now just the 12th player to score 1,000 points and grab 500 rebounds at Long Beach State. He ranks 17th in career scoring and is the top-scoring transfer in school history.
• Deishuan Booker’s buzzer beater on the road at UC Santa Barbara handed the team an important 70-69 victory, as well as a win of historical significance, the 1,000 win in the 67-year history of Long Beach State Men’s Basketball. Long Beach State enters the Big West Tournament on a two-game winning streak.
• Junior Deishuan Booker has been putting up outstanding passing numbers in his first season at the Beach. Leading the Big West with 4.6 assists per game, Booker now ranks 13th in school history in single-season assists and is quickly climbing the list. Booker tied the Advocare Invitational record with 27 assists, and is the first player since Long Beach State great Ed Ratleff to have 11 or more assists in back-to-back games. Booker is also first player since Billy Walker in 1988 to have two games with 12 or more assists in his career. Not to be left behind in scoring, Booker is also third on the team averaging 10.2 points per game.
• Senior Gabe Levin had a career night against UC Davis, tying Ed Ratleff’s single-game scoring record at Long Beach State with 45 points in a double-overtime loss to UC Davis. Levin broke the Big West records for free throws made (24) and attempted (28) in the game while shooting 50 percent from the field and from three.
• Levin’s aggressiveness and skill near the rim has set the senior up to claim another Long Beach State record, as he needs eight more free throws made to pass James Cotton and Donovan Morris for the most free throws made in one season.
• Temidayo Yussuf missed the first four games of the season, but came into form in perfect timing for the beginning of league play. Yussuf is now averaging 9.1 points and 6.0 rebounds per game, and averaged 10.5 points and 7.7 rebounds per game in Big West action.
• Bryan Alberts set a new career high with 25 points against Southern Utah, and has led the team in scoring six times in 2017-18. Now averaging 11.5 points per game, the Gonzaga graduate transfer is second on the Beach in scoring this season, and returned to action against Cal Poly after missing nine games, and scored in double-figures twice in league play.
• Edon Maxhuni has also contributed at the point guard position, as the true freshman has scored in double-figures in nine games, including scoring 20 points against UC Santa Barbara. Maxhuni closed league play fifth on the team in scoring at 7.6 points per game.
• KJ Byers continues to showcase his complete game in his first year at Long Beach State after transferring in this season. Byers is one of the team’s leaders defensively, with 30 blocks and 32 steals, and is averaging 5.3 points and 4.3 rebounds on the year.
• Jordan Roberts has stepped up in league play, making 13 starts and contributing 5.9 points and 3.7 rebounds per game while shooting 58.0 percent from the field. The freshman is providing a strong defensive presence and averaged 23.3 minutes per game in Big West games.
• Mason Riggins continues to be a solid presence in the post for Long Beach State, and has played in 98 games for the Beach. The junior is averaging 4.5 points and 4.0 rebounds per game, while adding 20 blocks and shooting 62.4 percent from the field in 2017-18. The junior also set a career-high against UC Riverside, grabbing 14 rebounds to lead the team.
• Sophomore Jordan Griffin made his first start of the season against Stanford, and responded with a career-high 21 points, leading the Beach to the win over Cardinal. Griffin is seventh on the team in scoring at 5.6 points per game, has scored in double-figures seven times, and is shooting 38.4 percent from 3-point range on the season.
• Barry Ogalue returned to action for the Beach, and is averaging 6.6 points per game on the season, fifth on the team. A senior, Ogalue has started 13 games this season and has scored in double-figrures seven times.
• Junior Breamon Richard made his Division I debut against Texas A&M International, playing 19 minutes and scoring four points with two assists. A star across town at Long Beach City College for two seasons, he joins his high school teammate Quentin Shropshire with the 49ers. Shropshire, a former high jumper with the track and field team, is in his second season with the men’s basketball program.
Official Online Store
5/30/2018 - M. Basketball
LBSU Men’s Basketball Announces Changes to Coaching Staff
3/29/2018 - M. Basketball
Dan Monson Signs Restructured Contract Extension with Beach Basketball
3/27/2018 - M. Basketball
Gabe Levin To Participate in Reese's College All-Star Game At Final Four
3/8/2018 - M. Basketball
Big Nights From Levin, Booker Not Enough As Cal State Fullerton Slips By Long Beach State 76-74
3/5/2018 - M. Basketball