Ramsey spent one season as the director of baseball operations before moving into a volunteer assistant coach roll before the 2012 season
June 28, 2012
1. Can you detail your coaching path to Long Beach State?
After I finished up school in the fall of 2004, I went back to Sacramento City College where I played junior college baseball. I coached at Sac City for six seasons before the opportunity to come down as the Director of Baseball Operations last year came about. After serving as the operations person for the year, I moved onto the field as the volunteer assistant coach this past season.
2. Beyond winning a championship, what are your goals for the upcoming season?
To continue what Coach Buckley and the staff started two years ago, getting the program back where it belongs, amongst the elite baseball programs in the country.
3. Who is an exciting new player we will see on you team next season?
We are very excited about our recruiting class this year. The coaches have done a great job getting some of the best players around. There is not just one guy, the whole class should contribute next year.
4. What is your recruiting philosophy?
As the volunteer, I am not allowed to recruit.
5. How important are the summer months to the development of your team?
We do not see our players during the summer months. Most of them are out playing in various summer leagues across the country. It is a great opportunity for them to get out and experience the game at a different level and in a different atmosphere.
6. If someone asked you for a recommendation where to eat in the Long Beach area, where would you send them and what would you tell them to order?
One of my favorite places to eat in Long Beach would have to be Riley's on 2nd. Great atmosphere, friendly service, and I've never had something on the menu I didn't like. The pizzas are very good as are the burgers and sandwiches.
7. Outside of coaching and sports, what are your hobbies?
I love to BBQ and relax with my friends. It doesn't happen very often with the schedule, but I love to golf as well.
8. If you had a weekend off during the season and you weren't allowed to work, what would you do with the free time?
I would do one of two things, either head up north to Sacramento and visit family and friends or do exactly what I mentioned earlier: golf, BBQ, and relax.
9. What vacation spot has been your favorite to visit?
I would have to say Maui. My grandma lives there and my step grandpa works at the Grand Wailea so it means lots of beach and lots of golf. Not the worst way to spend a week.
10. Dodgers or Angels, and why? Lakers or Clippers, and why?
None of the above, Oakland A's and Sacramento Kings. But if I had to pick one of those it would be the Angels and the Clippers. Besides Weaver being a Dirtbag, 1988 was the end of the Dodgers in my eyes, something about a fist pumping old man, so by default, the Angels. The same can be said for the Clippers logic, way too many heartbreaking losses to the Lakers to ever pull for them.
11. Excluding your team, what "49er Moment" from the 2011-12 season was your favorite?
Watching the men's basketball team cut down the net at the Honda Center was awesome. It was fun to see the seniors who worked so hard for four years finally reach their goal.
- Baseball Camps
- 2016 Youth Baseball Summer Camps - June 6-Aug. 8
- 2016 Middle School Summer Camp - July 6
- Dirtbag Baseball
- What is a Dirtbag?
- Dirtbags in the Majors
- Team History
- Blair Field
- Ticket Information
- Beach Magazine Feature on Dirtbags in MLB
- Dirtbags Baseball Alumni Video
- MLB.com on Dirtbag Infielders
- Major Leaguers All-Time Gallery
- 1998 CWS Reunion
- Related Links
- Baseball America
- Collegiate Baseball
- Minor League Baseball
- Major Leagues
- USA Baseball
- Media Guides
Hampson, McCaughan Earn ABCA All-Region Honors06/15/2016 - Baseball
The Dirtbags have a pair of representatives on the American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA)...
Chris Rivera Named NCBWA Freshman All-American06/13/2016 - Baseball
Long Beach State relief pitcher Chris Rivera picked up an impressive postseason honor Monday,...
Mathewson, Jacobsen Selected on Final Day of...06/11/2016 - Baseball
Long Beach State had two more players, both sophomore pitchers, selected on the final day of the ...
Austin McGeorge Drafted in Seventh Round of MLB...06/10/2016 - Baseball
Junior reliever Austin McGeorge was selected by the New York Mets in the seventh round of the...
Garrett Hampson Drafted by Colorado Rockies in ...06/10/2016 - Baseball
Long Beach State’s junior shortstop was selected by the Colorado Rockies with the 81st...
Valiant Dirtbags Rally Falls Short in Season-En...06/05/2016 - Baseball
Long Beach State trailed 8-1 in the sixth inning at Miami on Sunday night, but scored seven...