June 28, 2012
1. Can you detail your coaching path to Long Beach State?
After I finished up school in the fall of 2004, I went back to Sacramento City College where I played junior college baseball. I coached at Sac City for six seasons before the opportunity to come down as the Director of Baseball Operations last year came about. After serving as the operations person for the year, I moved onto the field as the volunteer assistant coach this past season.
2. Beyond winning a championship, what are your goals for the upcoming season?
To continue what Coach Buckley and the staff started two years ago, getting the program back where it belongs, amongst the elite baseball programs in the country.
3. Who is an exciting new player we will see on you team next season?
We are very excited about our recruiting class this year. The coaches have done a great job getting some of the best players around. There is not just one guy, the whole class should contribute next year.
4. What is your recruiting philosophy?
As the volunteer, I am not allowed to recruit.
5. How important are the summer months to the development of your team?
We do not see our players during the summer months. Most of them are out playing in various summer leagues across the country. It is a great opportunity for them to get out and experience the game at a different level and in a different atmosphere.
6. If someone asked you for a recommendation where to eat in the Long Beach area, where would you send them and what would you tell them to order?
One of my favorite places to eat in Long Beach would have to be Riley's on 2nd. Great atmosphere, friendly service, and I've never had something on the menu I didn't like. The pizzas are very good as are the burgers and sandwiches.
7. Outside of coaching and sports, what are your hobbies?
I love to BBQ and relax with my friends. It doesn't happen very often with the schedule, but I love to golf as well.
8. If you had a weekend off during the season and you weren't allowed to work, what would you do with the free time?
I would do one of two things, either head up north to Sacramento and visit family and friends or do exactly what I mentioned earlier: golf, BBQ, and relax.
9. What vacation spot has been your favorite to visit?
I would have to say Maui. My grandma lives there and my step grandpa works at the Grand Wailea so it means lots of beach and lots of golf. Not the worst way to spend a week.
10. Dodgers or Angels, and why? Lakers or Clippers, and why?
None of the above, Oakland A's and Sacramento Kings. But if I had to pick one of those it would be the Angels and the Clippers. Besides Weaver being a Dirtbag, 1988 was the end of the Dodgers in my eyes, something about a fist pumping old man, so by default, the Angels. The same can be said for the Clippers logic, way too many heartbreaking losses to the Lakers to ever pull for them.
11. Excluding your team, what "49er Moment" from the 2011-12 season was your favorite?
Watching the men's basketball team cut down the net at the Honda Center was awesome. It was fun to see the seniors who worked so hard for four years finally reach their goal.
- Baseball Camps
- 2016 GameDay Prospect Camp (9th Grade & Up) - Dec. 3
- 2016 Youth Hitting Camps - Dec. 5-26
- 2016 Youth Winter Camp - Dec. 26-30
- 2017 Dirtbags Youth Hitting Camps - Jan. 8-29
- 2017 Dirtbags High School Hitting Camps - Jan. 9 - Feb. 13
- Dirtbag Baseball
- What is a Dirtbag?
- Dirtbags in the Majors
- Team History
- Blair Field
- Ticket Information
- Beach Magazine Feature on Dirtbags in MLB
- Dirtbags Baseball Alumni Video
- MLB.com on Dirtbag Infielders
- Major Leaguers All-Time Gallery
- 1998 CWS Reunion
- Related Links
- Baseball America
- Collegiate Baseball
- Minor League Baseball
- Major Leagues
- USA Baseball
- Media Guides
Dirtbags Season-Opening Series Moved to Oklahoma02/15/2017 - Baseball
Due to record rainfall in the forecast for Southern California this weekend, Long Beach StateR...
Troy Buckley Named to USA Baseball Collegiate...02/14/2017 - Baseball
Long Beach State will be well represented on the 2017 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team...
Dirtbags Tied For Second in Big West Preseason ...02/02/2017 - Baseball
Long Beach State is projected to finish in a tie for second place in the Big West this season,...
Beach Athletics All-Access Episode 8: Troy Buckley01/27/2017 - Baseball
Catch the latest episode of Beach Athletics All-Access, a podcast where we speak at greater...
Dirtbags Ranked No. 20 in Baseball America...01/24/2017 - Baseball
Long Beach State will open the 2017 season ranked No. 20 in the nation by Baseball America. In...
Jason Vargas Contributes $100,000 to Blair...01/20/2017 - Baseball
The Blair Field renovation project has received another major contribution from a prominent...