Dirtbags Host No. 10 Vanderbilt in Wednesday Showdown
Long Beach State continues its run of top competition, taking on another Top 10 team on Wednesday night as the Vanderbilt Commodores will be at Blair Field at 6 p.m.
Wednesday, March 7
Long Beach State vs. No. 10 Vanderbilt
Time: 6 p.m.
Location: Bohl Diamond at Blair Field
Beach Vision Live Stream | Listen: 22 West Radio | Live Stats
Probable Pitching Matchup:
LBSU – RHP Tyler Radcliffe (0-1, 4.50 ERA)
VANDY – LHP Jake Eder (1-0, 4.00 ERA)
LAST TIME OUT
• Long Beach State just hosted another SEC opponent, winning one of three against Ole Miss over the weekend. The Dirtbags won game one of a series for the third straight weekend, but couldn’t build on it to take the series.
• Tyler Radcliffe made his season debut on Sunday, tossing two innings in his return from injury. The redshirt junior will be starting his second consecutive game for the Dirtbags on Wednesday night.
SCOUTING THE COMMODORES
• After beginning the season on a 10-game homestand (during which they were 9-1), Vanderbilt has hit the road and is moving West. The Commodores were in Houston over the weekend, playing a trio of games at Minute Maid Park. After losses to Sam Houston State and Louisiana-Lafayette, VU bounced back for a 9-4 win over Houston on Sunday.
• A balanced and explosive Vanderbilt offense boasts eight hitters with a batting average of .300 or better, and the Commodores have scored an impressive 125 runs in their first 13 games of the season. Freshman CF and cleanup hitter Pat DeMarco leads the way with a .423 average, has seven doubles and 12 RBIs on the season and is 4-for-4 on stolen base attempts. Junior 2B Ethan Paul already has 22 RBIs on the season and is hitting .340 with a team-best three home runs.
• Probable starter Jake Eder has already made a pair of starts this season, and averages a strikeout per inning. He is also allowing opposing batters to hit just .133 against him, allowing just six total baserunners in nine innings of work. He has allowed four earned runs however, thanks to his two home runs surrendered.
BOHL DIAMOND AT BLAIR FIELD
• Long Beach State received a multi-million dollar donation during the offseason from longtime supporter Marilyn Bohl. In recognition of her generous gift, , the Dirtbags’ home field has been renamed Bohl Diamond at Blair Field.
• Bohl has been actively involved in supporting the Blair Field renovation project for years, and previously gave a one million dollar gift to help kick off the initial phase of the renovations prior to the 2016 season.
• So far, the renovation efforts have included a new outfield fence, the Troy & Danyll Tulowitzki Batting Facility, the Jered Weaver Bullpen, and improvements to the Dirtbags locker room. Future plans include new stadium lighting, improved field drainage, a new multi-purpose team room along the left field line, plus restroom and seating upgrades.
LB IN MLB
• For the eighth consecutive year, Long Beach State had more players in the major leagues than any other college or university. There were 15 former Dirtbags who played in the major leagues in 2017 and the all-time total for Long Beach State is 48 big league representatives.
• There were two former Dirtbags who made their MLB debuts in 2017. First, it was RHP Shane Carle who appeared for the Colorado Rockies on April 14. Later in the season, C Mike Marjama made his debut with the Seattle Mariners on September 3.
• Kansas City Royals lefthander Jason Vargas made his first All-Star Game appearance during the 2017 season. The Dirtbags will be giving away commemorative Vargas bobbleheads prior at the UC Irvine game on April 7.
Official Online Store
3/18/2018 - Baseball
Radcliffe Shuts Down Tulane in 1-0 Dirtbags Win
3/17/2018 - Baseball
Long Beach State Drops Game Two Against Tulane, 10-6
3/16/2018 - Baseball
Dirtbags Cruise Past Tulane in Series Opener, 13-2
3/16/2018 - Baseball
Long Beach State Baseball Hosts Tulane This Weekend
3/14/2018 - Baseball