Tayyiba Haneef had 21 kills to lead the 49ers past Nebraska.
Sept. 1, 2001
Long Beach, Calif. - In 2001, Long Beach and Nebraska were tops in women's volleyball. The two schools had combined for two of the last three National Championships, and the 4,940 fans in the Pyramid proved how big this September matchup was. No. 3 Long Beach State (2-0) upset top-ranked and defending National Champion Nebraska (2-1) 30-26, 28-30, 31-29, 30-25. The win snapped Nebraksa's 36-match winning streak.
The crowd, the third largest crowd ever to see a women's volleyball match at The Walter Pyramid, saw Cheryl Weaver and Tayyiba Haneef each tally 21 kills. Ashanti Taylor had a career-best 12 kills, and Tracy Bulquerin and Brittany Hochevar each had 13 digs for LBSU.
After both teams exchanged points for most of the first half of game four, Long Beach ended the night on a 10-5 run, winning 30-25. After Nebraska closed to 25-23, two straight points gave LBSU a 27-23 lead. Five straight points by The Beach gave them a 25-20 lead, after the Huskers had tied it at 20-20. Two straight Hochevar aces gave LBSU a 20-18 lead.
LBSU hit .325 in the first game, compared to a .184 hitting percentage by Nebraska. After a kill from Nebraska star Jenny Kropp closed the lead to 25-24, LBSU moved to 27-24 thanks to a Cornhusker hitting error and closed out the first set with three kills to take a 30-26 win.
After falling in game two, the 49ers were able to come back and win game three, 31-29, after Nebraska fought back to tie it at 29-29. LBSU hit .265, while Nebraska hit .333. The 49ers scored three in a row to take a 29-27 lead, after trailing 27-26. The teams exchanged points in the mid-20s before Hochevar's kill gave The Beach their first lead at 26-25. The 49ers first tied it at 22-22, after closing to 20-19, 21-20 and 22-21. A Metcalf kill extended the Husker lead to 20-17, after LBSU came within 16-15.
TOP 15 WALTER PYRAMID MOMENTS
- #15 | Unranked Women's Volleyball Upsets No. 8 Florida
- #14 | First NCAA Tournament match played in the Walter Pyramid
- #13 | Men's Basketball defeats UC Riverside for regular season Big West Championship
- #12 | Men's Basketball defeats UCSB in Homecoming comeback
- #11 | Women's Volleyball defeats No. 14 Hawaii in front of 5,015
- #10 | No. 2 Women's Volleyball defeats No. 4 Stanford
- #9 | Men's Basketball erases 23-point deficit on Homecoming
- #8 | Men's Basketball defeats USC
- #7 | Women's Volleyball defeats Texas to advance to the Final Four
- #6 | Men's Basketball gets first overtime win in the Walter Pyramid
- #5 | Women's Volleyball defeats Southern without allowing a point
- #4 | Women's Volleyball defeats UCSB and sets all-time attendance record
- #3 | Misty May's jersey retired on Senior Night