Jan. 30, 1995
Long Beach, Calif. - One of the highlights for the 49ers in the 1995 season was a Big West victory over UNLV in front of a sellout crowd of 4,713, the first overtime win for Long Beach State in the Walter Pyramid.
The Beach defeated UNLV 74-73 in overtime on the strength of Terrence O'Kelley and his balanced play. O'Kelley led all LBSU players with 19 points on 8-for-11 shooting and eight rebounds. His performance also included two blocked shots. The strong inside play by O'Kelley was also supported by Joe McNaull who scored 17 points in 23 minutes as well as Rasul Salahuddin, who added a dozen points for the 49ers.
Long Beach State shot a solid 48 percent from the field for the game, erasing a two-point halftime deficit to send the game into the extra period before pulling out the one point victory.
That win was one of several big wins at home in the successful opening season of the Walter Pyramid, as the 49ers rode the excitement from the new facility all the way to an NCAA Tournament appearance.
TOP 15 WALTER PYRAMID MOMENTS
- #15 | Unranked Women's Volleyball Upsets No. 8 Florida
- #14 | First NCAA Tournament match played in the Walter Pyramid
- #13 | Men's Basketball defeats UC Riverside for regular season Big West Championship
- #12 | Men's Basketball defeats UCSB in Homecoming comeback
- #11 | Women's Volleyball defeats No. 14 Hawaii in front of 5,015
- #10 | No. 2 Women's Volleyball defeats No. 4 Stanford
- #9 | Men's Basketball erases 23-point deficit on Homecoming
- #8 | Men's Basketball defeats USC
- #7 | Women's Volleyball defeats Texas to advance to the Final Four