Benishe Dillard led the 49ers with 13 kills on .545 hitting.
Dec. 11, 1998
Long Beach, Calif. - The 1998 women's volleyball team was a special one for Long Beach State. The team's unbelievable season ended with a National Championship after defeating Penn State to finish with an overall record of 36-0, the first team in Division I women's volleyball to go undefeated for an entire season. Their dominance was shown all season, as the 49ers only played more than the minimum three sets on five occasions.
Long Beach State's Regional Final match against Texas on December 11 of that year was indicative of the 49ers performance that year. Long Beach State defeated the Longhorns in three sets 15-9, 15-9, 15-2, displaying much of their trademark style. Benishe Dillard led the 49ers with 13 kills on .545 hitting, while defending National Player of the Year Misty May had 30 assists, eight digs and nine kills on .450 hitting, again showing why she would again win the award later that year.
TOP 15 WALTER PYRAMID MOMENTS
- #15 | Unranked Women's Volleyball Upsets No. 8 Florida
- #14 | First NCAA Tournament match played in the Walter Pyramid
- #13 | Men's Basketball defeats UC Riverside for regular season Big West Championship
- #12 | Men's Basketball defeats UCSB in Homecoming comeback
- #11 | Women's Volleyball defeats No. 14 Hawaii in front of 5,015
- #10 | No. 2 Women's Volleyball defeats No. 4 Stanford
- #9 | Men's Basketball erases 23-point deficit on Homecoming
- #8 | Men's Basketball defeats USC