Dec. 16, 1999
Long Beach, Calif. - 1999-2000 was a magical year for the Long Beach State men's basketball team as it compiled a 24-6 overall record and won the Big West Conference Western Division title with a 15-1 mark. The team also received an invitation to the NIT, the first postseason appearance since the 1994-95 campaign, the year that the Walter Pyramid opened its doors.
The team saw an early season slump, opening the 1999-2000 campaign with a 2-3 mark, including two in a row at the Syracuse Carrier Classic. A huge home win against USC turned the team's fortunes around, propelling the 49ers to a 22-4 mark over the rest of the season. The impressive 76-66 win against the Trojans was televised nationally on ESPN.
The 49ers erased a two-point halftime deficit thanks to contributions by Mate Milisa (15 points, 11 rebounds) and James Williams (14 points, 10 rebounds) who each had double-doubles.
TOP 15 WALTER PYRAMID MOMENTS
- #15 | Unranked Women's Volleyball Upsets No. 8 Florida
- #14 | First NCAA Tournament match played in the Walter Pyramid
- #13 | Men's Basketball defeats UC Riverside for regular season Big West Championship
- #12 | Men's Basketball defeats UCSB in Homecoming comeback
- #11 | Women's Volleyball defeats No. 14 Hawaii in front of 5,015
- #10 | No. 2 Women's Volleyball defeats No. 4 Stanford
- #9 | Men's Basketball erases 23-point deficit on Homecoming/li>