Dec. 11, 2008
Long Beach, Calif. - The tradition continued as the Long Beach State men's basketball team gave the Homecoming crowd a lot to cheer for in the second half. Down 11 at halftime, the 49ers dug themselves out of a 23-point hole with 11 minutes remaining as they won another Homecoming thriller, this time against Weber State in overtime, 73-69.
Senior leader Donovan Morris made seven of ten shots and canned two key free throws with 13.9 seconds remaining in overtime to seal the win for Long Beach State. Stephan Gilling went wild from behind the arc in the second half, tallying five 3-pointers and 15 points, while Eugene Phelps had a great second half in the paint with 13 points, six rebounds, and two huge and-one buckets.
This year's Homecoming is set to take place on Saturday, November 14. Tailgating begins at Noon in the Walter Pyramid parking lot with the men's basketball home opener against UA-Anchorage following the festivities at 4:05 p.m..
For more information on Homecoming, or the Athletics Tailgate BBQ, which includes food from Naples Rib Company, beer and a game ticket, please CLICK HERE.
TOP 15 WALTER PYRAMID MOMENTS
- #15 | Unranked Women's Volleyball Upsets No. 8 Florida
- #14 | First NCAA Tournament match played in the Walter Pyramid
- #13 | Men's Basketball defeats UC Riverside for regular season Big West Championship
- #12 | Men's Basketball defeats UCSB in Homecoming comeback
- #11 | Women's Volleyball defeats No. 14 Hawaii in front of 5,015
- #10 | No. 2 Women's Volleyball defeats No. 4 Stanford