Tayyiba Haneef led the 49ers with 21 kills.
Sept. 25, 2001
Long Beach, Calif. - If you were lucky enough to be in the Walter Pyramid on September 25, 2001, you saw three future Olympians battle back-and-forth, and two of them lift the 49ers to a convincing victory over the previously undefeated Stanford Cardinal, 30-27, 21-30, 30-21, 30-25. The win took No. 2 Long Beach to 8-0.
Tayyiba Haneef led the Long Beach attack with 21 kills and a .302 hitting percentage, while Cheryl Weaver added 16 kills on .406 hitting. Stanford's Logan Tom had 15 kills and 14 digs, but the 49er defense limited her to an uncharacteristic .174 hitting percentage. Future AVP Beach Volleyball star Brittany Hochevar also added 11 kills, 12 digs and ended the match for Long Beach with back-to-back kills.
The crowd of 3,904 was the sixth largest crowd ever to see an LBSU women's volleyball match at the Walter Pyramid, and second largest LBSU crowd the 2001 season. Under Brian Gimmillaro, Long Beach State had never beaten Stanford in five previous meetings.
Unfortunately, the Cardinal would have their revenge in the National Championship game where they swept the 49ers. Check out this video clip of the finals.
TOP 15 WALTER PYRAMID MOMENTS
- #15 | Unranked Women's Volleyball Upsets No. 8 Florida
- #14 | First NCAA Tournament match played in the Walter Pyramid
- #13 | Men's Basketball defeats UC Riverside for regular season Big West Championship
- #12 | Men's Basketball defeats UCSB in Homecoming comeback
- #11 | Women's Volleyball defeats No. 14 Hawaii in front of 5,015