Cross Country Welcomes 15 New Members For 2013
49ers open season Sept. 1 at Mark Covert Classic
Aug. 9, 2013
LONG BEACH - Long Beach State cross country distance coach Patrick Wales-Dinan announced the signing of seven new members to the women's team and eight new runners to the men's squad that will join the 49ers this season.
"Our women's group is one of the deepest in program history," Wales-Dinan said. "I am very excited about their ability to impact our team right away. Our Men's class is also one of the deepest in program history. I expect that they can make an immediate impact on our program and I am so excited to be working with them and guiding their development into fantastic collegiate runners."
Xitlali Avila | Warren High School (Downey, Calif.)
800m: 2:19.50 | 1600m: 5:06.37 | 3200m: 11:21.36
- Finished Runner-Up at the Laguna Beach Trophy Invite in 5:06.37
- Anchored Warren High School to a 6th Place Finish in the Distance Medley Relay at the Arcadia Invitational in a time of 12:10.42
- Finished 3rd in the 1600m & 3200m at the San Gabriel Valley League Championships
- Garnered a 14th place finish at the Woodbridge Cross Country Invitational in a Time of 17:51
Coach Wales-Dinan says: "Lali is a fierce competitor with a great combination of speed and strength. I look for her to make an impact on our team right away. We are very excited to see what she can do over the next four years."
Taylor Jones | La Mirada High School (La Mirada, Calif.)
800m: 2:16.97 | 1600m: 5:11.48 | 3200m: 11:21.53
- Was the 2012 Suburban League Champion in the 800m
- Finished 6th at the CIF Division II Finals in the 800m Running 2:16.97
- Won the Covina Invitational 1600m in 5:11.48
- Finished 2nd in her Section of the 2010 Mt Sac Cross Country Championships
- Finished 13th at the 2010 CIF Division 3 State Cross Country Championships
Coach Wales-Dinan says: "Taylor has been successful at every distance she has attempted and has had some top level performances in cross country. I think she is going to thrive at the collegiate level."
Kathleen Dunne | Adolfo Camarillo High School (Camarillo, Calif.)
800m: 2:21.69 | 1600m: 5:08.34
- Finished 3rd at the Ventura County Championships 1600m in 5:08.34
- Won the Pacific League Championships in 800m, 1600m and 3200m
- Finished 6th in her Section at 2012 Mt. Sac Cross Country Invitational
- Finished 4th in her Section of the 2012 Woodbridge Invitational
Coach Wales-Dinan says: "Kathleen has never backed down from a competitive challenge. I think she has more room to improve than anyone we have brought to Long Beach in a while. I am very excited to see what she can accomplish in a competitive environment."
Ashley Carrera | San Pedro High School (San Pedro, Calif.)
1600m: 5:21.50 | 3200m: 11:06.97
- Finished 3rd at CIF LA City Section to Qualify for the CIF State Championships Where She Ran 11:06.97 in the 3200m
- Was Runner Up at the Marina League Championships in Both the 1600m & 3200m
- Was Runner Up at the Marian League Cross Country Championships
- Finished 3rd at the LA City Cross Country Championships
Coach Wales-Dinan says: "Ashley has been such a consistent runner throughout her high school career. I expect her to bring that same level of consistent strength and performance to our cross country team this fall."
Jacqueline Rodriguez | West Torrance High School (Torrance, Calif.)
1600m: 5:16.84 | 3200m: 11:09.32
- Finished 3rd at the 2012 Bay League Championships in 11:09.32
- Ran a Personal Best 5:16.84 for 1600m at the Bay League Prelims
- Garnered a 5th Place finish in Her Section of the 2011 Mt. Sac Cross Country Invitational
- Finished 4th at the 2012 Nike Redondo Nike Invitational in the 3200m
Coach Wales-Dinan says: "Jackie has consistently been matched up against some of the best runner in the state and has met the challenge. I look forward to her bringing that tenacity with her to our team."
Valeria Soto | Canyon High School (Canyon Country, Calif.)
1600m: 5:17.01 | 3200m: 11:18.25
- Was a Two-Time Top 5 Finisher at the Foothill League Championships over 3200m.
- Anchored Her Team to a 5th Place Finish at the Mt. Sac Relays in the 4x1600m Relay
- Finished 9th at CIF Southern Section Championships running 18:38
Coach Wales-Dinan says: "Valeria is an immediate impact type runner. She has trained at a high level in high school and I look forward to her bringing that experience to our freshman class. I believe she can impact our cross country team right away."
Jozelle Perez | Canyon High School (Anaheim, Calif.)
800m: 2:25.48 | 1600m: 5:23.74
- Finished 5th at the 2012 Clovis Invitational Helping Team to Division II Championship running 18:43
- Finished 12th at the Woodbridge Invitational Running 17:55
Coach Wales-Dinan says: "Jozelle is a very versatile runner. She was a consistent presence for Canyon High School which was one of the best in the state. I am excited for her to bring energy and excitement to our group."
Jose Herrera | Madera South High School (Madera, Calif.)
800m: 1:56.78 | 1600m: 4:12.03 | 3000m: 8:34.00 | 3200m: 9:07.82
- 2-Time CIF Central Section Cross Country Champion
- 9th Place Finish at 2011 Nike Pre National Cross Country Championships
- Finished 2nd at the 2013 West Coast Relays 1600m in 4:12.03
- Finished 2nd at Stanford Invitational 3000m Championship Section
- Led Team to Victory at Arcadia Invitational 4x1600m Relay
- Finished 3rd at the Mt. Sac Relays 3200m Invitational in 9:07.82
- Anchored Madera South to the 11th Fastest Distance Medley Relay Team in the US at the Mt. Sac Relays Running 10:08.58
Coach Wales-Dinan says: "Jose is one of the most accomplished runners to wear a Long Beach uniform. He has always risen to the occasion when the competitive landscape dictates. He has an incredible combination of track prowess and cross country ability. His career should be a special one."
Kevin Ramirez | Santa Fe High School (Santa Fe Springs, Calif.)
1600m: 4:21.50 | 3200m: 9:12.89 | 5000m: 14:59.33
- Won the CIF Southern Section Cross Country Prelims at Mt. Sac
- Won Section II of the Ben Brown Invitational 5000m
- Finished 6th at Mt. Sac Cross Country Invitational Sweepstakes Race Running 14:58
- Finished 26th at 2012 CIF State Cross Country Championships
- Finished 2nd at 2013 Nike Redondo Invitational in 9:20.57
- Finished 4th at 2013 Adidas Meet of Champions in 9:12.89
- Runner up 2013 Del Rio League 3200m
Coach Wales-Dinan says: "Kevin caught my eye early on with his ability to execute great tactical races. I am thrilled to have someone of his caliber joining our program. He has the ability to impact a race in so many ways. He should be a special one here at The Beach!"
Sam Bautista | California High School (Whittier, Calif.)
1600m: 4:15.90 | 3200m: 9:20.69 | 5000m: 15:05.27
- Finished 16th Overall to Lead Team to Runner-Up Finish at 2012 CIF State Cross Country Championships, Qualifying for Nike Cross Nationals
- Anchored 4x1600m Relay Team to 2nd Place Finish at 2013 Mt. Sac Invitational in 17:28.64
- Finished 3rd at the 2013 Nike Redondo Invitational 3200m in a time of 9:21.40
- 2013 Del Rio League Champion in 3200m
Coach Wales-Dinan says: "Sam knows what it means to anchor a highly competitive cross country team. He brings great leadership and exceptional talent to this deep men's recruiting class. There is no telling how much Sam will impact our squad right away."
Climonte Blackman | El Camino College (Inglewood, Calif.)
- Won his section of the Oxy-Lu Last Chance Qualifier running 1:52.85
- Won the 2010 South Bay League Championships for Inglewood HS Running 50.40 for the 400m
Coach Wales-Dinan says: "Climonte is so new to the sport but has already showed tremendous ability. He was a 200m & 400m runner originally and has found his success at the half mile distance. He could progress to one of the best in the region quite quickly."
Kadan Lapham | Great Oak High School (Temecula, Calif.)
1600m: 4:20.47 | 3200m: 9:35.23
- Finished 3rd at Southwestern League Cross Country Championships
- Finished 12th at CIF Southern Section Cross Country Championships
- Won the 1600m at the 2013 Great Oak Distance Invitational in 4:21.93
- Finished 9th in the One Mile Invitational at the 2013 Arcadia Invitational
Coach Wales-Dinan says: "Kaden has trained at a higher level than any athlete I have recruited. I am very excited to see how he transitions to the collegiate environment. I think he can be a fantastic middle distance runner for us."
Emilio Nunez | Valley View High School (Moreno Valley, Calif.)
1600m: 4:29.50 | 3200m: 9:33.22
- Finished 7th at Mt. Sac Cross Country Invitational Sweepstakes Race Running 15:00
- Finished 2nd at the Dana Hill Cross Country Invitational
- Finished 2nd at CIF Southern Section Cross Country Championships
- Won the California Relays 3200m in 9:33.22
- Finished 2nd in the 3200m at the Inland Valley League Championships
Coach Wales-Dinan says: "Emilio has more room to improve than anyone in this incoming class. He has shown flashes of brilliance in high school and could develop into a very high level competitor with some consistent training. I can wait to get him on campus."
Andres Velesco | Downey High School (Downey, Calif.)
1600m: 4:22.70 | 3200m: 9:29.66
- Finished 5th at CIF Southern Section Cross Country Championships
- Finished 6th in the 3200m at the Trabuco Hills Invitational Running 9:29.66
- Finished 3rd at 2012 San Gabriel Valley League 1600m Championships
Coach Wales-Dinan says: "Andres is the most determined young man I have recruited. He will let nothing hold him back from reaching his goals. He is a fiery competitor and a diligent trainer. He has great speed and the ability to impact our team in many ways."
Zachary Diaz | Palos Verdes High School (Palos Verdes, Calif.)
1600m: 4:26.40 | 3200m: 9:28.07
- Won the 3200m at the Palos Verdes Invitational
- Finished 3rd in the 3200m at Bay League Championships Running 9:29.79
- Helped Palos Verdes to a 4th Place Finish in the 4x1600m Relay at the Arcadia Invitational
- Was Part of Palos Verdes' School Record Setting 4x1600m Relay Team at the Mt. Sac Invitational Which Finished 6th in 17:35.06
Coach Wales-Dinan says: "Zach comes from one of the most accomplished high school programs around. He has tons of upside and has trained with very high level runners his entire life. I think he will make an excellent collegiate runner."
Official Online Store
11/10/2017 - Cross Country
LBSU Cross Country Closes Out Season At NCAA West Regional
11/9/2017 - Cross Country
Cross Country Heads To Seattle For NCAA West Regional
10/28/2017 - Cross Country
Martinez Finishes In Ninth Place, Florez Takes 14th At Big West Championships
10/26/2017 - Cross Country
Cross Country Set To Run At Big West Conference Championships In Riverside
10/14/2017 - Cross Country