Cooks, Calhoun Prepare to Represent Long Beach State at Nationals
The Long Beach State track and field team will be represented by senior Riley Cooks and junior Vincent Calhoun on Friday, June 9 and Saturday, June 10 at the 2017 NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field Championships. The pair will travel to Eugene, Ore., to compete at historic Hayward Field.
About The NCAA Outdoor Championships
The 2017 NCAA Track and Field Championships are set to kick off on Wednesday, June 7 at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore. The four-day event will culminate on Saturday, June 10. All four days of Nationals will be broadcast on ESPN, ESPNU and ESPN2.
Schedule of Events
The 2017 NCAA Track and Field Championships begin on Wednesday, June 7 at 12:30 p.m. with the men’s decathlon 100-meter dash. The final event on Wednesday, will take place at 7:48 p.m. with the men’s 4x400-meter relay semifinal.
On Thursday, June 8 the day begins with the decathlon 110-meter hurdles at 10:30 p.m. and concludes with the the women’s 4x400-meter relay semifinal at 7:48 p.m.
Friday, Cooks will compete in the women’s heptathlon which begins at 12:30 p.m. with the 100-meter hurdles. Calhoun will see action in the men’s high jump final at 5 p.m.
On the final day of competition, the women’s heptathlon will be decided with the long jump beginning at 11:30 a.m. and the 800-meter run wrapping up the event at 5:13 p.m.
About the Beach
Long Beach State qualified 17 student-athletes at the NCAA West Regional Championships and junior Vincent Calhoun was the lone 49er to punch his ticket to Nationals after finishing 12th in the men’s high jump with a mark of 2.15m (7’0.5”).
Senior Riley Cooks earned her qualifying ticket to Nationals after winning the Big West Conference Championship heptathlon with a school-record 5,671 points.
Cooks will be competing at Nationals for the second time in her career. She was a 2016 NCAA Championship qualifier in the heptathlon.
Calhoun will make his first-ever appearance at Nationals on Friday.
Vincent Calhoun - High Jump
• La Habra, Calif., native
• Previously starred at Cerritos College and Long Beach Poly High School
• LBSU’s top high jumper with a lifetime best mark of 2.20m (7’2.5”)
• His mark in the high jump ranks him fourth all-time at Long Beach State
• With a height of 2.20m in the high jump ranks ninth in the nation
Riley Cooks - Heptathlon
• Coarsegold, Calif., native
• Previously competed at Cuesta College and Yosemite High School
• Two-time NCAA Championship Qualifier
• Big West Conference Female Field Athlete of the Year
• Big West Conference Female Athlete of the Meet
• Recorded a career-best distance of 6.12m (21’1”) in the long jump
• Her long jump PR ties her for fifth all-time at LBSU
• Qualified for the 100m hurdles with a PR of 13.52 which ranks second at LBSU
• Set a new school record in the heptatlon with 5,671 points
- Recruiting Information
- Men's Track & Field Questionnaire
- Women's Track & Field Questionnaire
- Contact Information
- Head Coach Andy Sythe - Jumps, Multis
- Shawn Winget - Distances
- LaTanya Sheffield - Sprints, Hurdles
- Cory Loebl - Throws
- Media Guides
Cooks, Calhoun Earn All-American Honors for...06/14/2017 - Track & Field
Following the 2017 NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field Championships, Long Beach State had a ...
Riley Cooks Concludes Collegiate Career with...06/10/2017 - Track & Field
Long Beach State senior Riley Cooks finished her collegiate career with a solid performance in...
Vincent Calhoun Finishes the Year with Strong...06/09/2017 - Track & Field
In his first-ever NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field Championship appearance, junior Vincent...
Cooks, Calhoun Prepare to Represent Long Beach ...06/06/2017 - Track & Field
The Long Beach State track and field team will be represented by senior Riley Cooks and junior...
Vincent Calhoun Punches Ticket to NCAA Outdoor ...05/27/2017 - Track & Field
Long Beach State Junior Vincent Calhoun jumped his way into the 2017 NCAA Division I Outdoor...
Long Beach State Continues Competition on Day 2...05/26/2017 - Track & Field
The Long Beach State track and field team continued its action on the second day of the NCAA West...