May 12, 2012
IRVINE, Calif. - The Long Beach State track & field team finished strong on the final day of the 2012 Big West Championships as it totaled four individual victories and 11 top-three performances Saturday at Anteater Stadium.
The 49er men scored the most points of any team in the conference on the second day of competition, compiling 117 points to jump two spots in the standings, but they were unable to catch UC Santa Barbara, which won its first Big West title with 179 points.
The women tied their best Big West finish in school history, placing third overall with 113 points.
Christopher Lawson led the men on Saturday, winning the 400m hurdles in 50.66 seconds, finishing second in the 110m hurdles (14.07), anchoring LBSU's runner-up 4x400 relay team and running the second leg on the third-place 4x100 relay squad. Lawson's marks in both hurdle events were lifetime bests and were the fourth-fastest times in school history.
Jahmani Lockett finished ahead of the pack in the 400m as he crossed the finish line in a season-best 48.05 seconds.
Ben Woodruff repeated as the Big West champion in the javelin with a toss of 231-03 and Jacob Weintraub claimed the discus title with a personal-record 183-09. Jacob Fraser made it a one-two finish in the discus, posting the second-longest mark of the day at 172-03. Weintraub's victory marked the second year in a row that a 49er has won the discus as Colin Dunbar took top honors in 2011.
Koree Hines had a third-place showing in the 110m hurdles with a lifetime-best 14.22, which is 10th in program history.
Cameron Glasgow ran a season-best 21.32 to finish second in the 200-meter dash and he also scored in the 100m with a fifth-place showing (10.81). Elijah Landry-Zapien added points in the 200m as he came in sixth (21.79).
After being tripped up in the 800m preliminaries on Friday, Gabriel Hilbert bounced back with a fourth-place finish in the finals, clocking in at 1:50.19.
Both relay squads had all-conference performances. The quartet of Sam Jeter, Hilbert, Lockett and Lawson claimed runner-up honors in the 4x400 with a time of 3:11.41. In the 4x100, Nathan Alade, Lawson, Landry-Zapien and Glasgow took third (41.26).
Brandon Hierholzer was the only 49er to score in the pole vault with a sixth-place showing.
On the women's side, Phylicia Johnson continued to post solid marks as she concluded the meet as the 49ers' top scorer, accumulating 21 points.
Johnson, who had not competed in the triple jump since high school, registered a lifetime-best 39-08 to finish fourth overall. That mark ranks seventh in program history. She also put points on the board in the shot put (seventh) and 100m hurdles (fifth).
Kristen Kiefer was another big scorer for Long Beach State as she placed seventh in the 100m hurdles and eighth in the 400m hurdles. On Friday, she scored in the long jump and added points in the heptathlon last weekend.
Emily Cooper had a big day on the track, finishing third in the short sprints. She registered a lifetime-best 24.21 in the 200m, which ranks sixth in LBSU history. Cooper also established a personal-record 11.85 in the 100m hurdles to put her at No. 8 on the 49er all-time charts.
The 4x100 relay team of Kayla Goosby, Saedra Wright, Dee Lars and Cooper placed fourth with a time of 46.55 seconds and the quartet of Jasmine Askew, Phillips, Jessica Barnard and Wright finished fifth in the 4x400. Their time of 3:45.55 ranks sixth in the school record books.
Long Beach State will have a week off before it heads to Austin, Texas, for the NCAA West Preliminaries, May 24-26.
49er Tidbits from the Big West Championships
- Long Beach State freshmen accounted for 45 total points and five all-conference performances. Jahmani Lockett won the 400m, Emily Cooper was third in the 100m and 200m, Cameron Glasgow finished second in the 200m and fourth in the 100m, Jacob Fraser was second in the discus and seventh in the hammer, and Kayla Goosby placed eighth in the 100m.
- Phylicia Johnson personally accounted for 21 points. She scored in the triple jump, which she had not competed in or practiced since high school. Johnson also scored in the 100m hurdles, shot put, long jump and heptathlon.
- Despite jumping off the opposite foot due to an injury, Kristen Kiefer posted a personal-record 19-00.75 to finish fourth in the long jump. Kiefer also scored in the 100H, 400H and heptathlon.
- The three Jakes on the 49er roster (Weintraub, Fraser and Dawson), combined to score 33 points over the two-day meet.
Final Men's Scores
1. UC Santa Barbara - 179
2. Long Beach State - 150
3. Cal State Northridge - 117
4. Cal Poly - 111
5. UC Riverside - 102
6. UC Davis - 70
7. UC Irvine - 69
8. Cal State Fullerton - 16
Final Women's Scores
1. UC Davis - 170
2. UC Santa Barbara - 169.5
3. Long Beach State - 113
4. Cal State Northridge - 109
5. UC Riverside - 82
6. Cal State Fullerton - 63
7. UC Irvine - 59
8. Cal Poly - 52.5
- 2016 Season
- Season Bests (Updated June 13)
- Weekly Release
- 2016 Black and Gold BBQ
- 2016 Black and Gold Schedule
- 2016 Cross Country/Track and Field Banquet
- 2016 Alumni Meet Registration
- 2016 Beach Kids Meet Registration
- 2017 Annual T&F Sports Package
- Beach Invitational Homepage
- Home Meet Information
- Black & Gold Meet Results
- Official Facebook Page
- Follow on Twitter
- Recruiting Information
- Men's Track & Field Questionnaire
- Women's Track & Field Questionnaire
- Contact Information
- Head Coach Andy Sythe - Jumps, Multis
- Shawn Winget - Distances
- LaTanya Sheffield - Sprints, Hurdles
- Cory Loebl - Throws
- Media Guides
Long Beach State Ready for USC Trojan Invitational03/16/2017 - Track
The Long Beach State track and field team is ready for competition at the USC Trojan Invitational...
De'Ondra Young Named Co-Big West Women's Field ...03/14/2017 - Track
Long Beach State junior thrower De’Ondra Young continues her tear on the field as she was...
Long Beach State Wins High Jump at Ben Brown...03/11/2017 - Track
Long Beach State concluded its appearance at the Ben Brown Invitational hosted by Cal State...
Long Beach State Starts Off Strong on Day 1 of ...03/10/2017 - Track
The Long Beach State track and field team continued its strong start as the Beach turned in...
Long Beach State Set to Compete at Ben Brown...03/09/2017 - Track
The Long Beach State track and field team is coming off of an impressive opening weekend in which...
Davis, Briggs Named Big West Track & Field...03/07/2017 - Track
Sophomore Courtne’ Davis was named Women’s Track Athlete of the Week, while sophomore...