Welcome to the Life Skills program at Long Beach State!
WHY HAVE LIFE SKILLS?
- The purpose of the Life Skills program is to prepare student-athletes for the challenges of life during and after college athletics and guide them toward their graduation day. CHAMPS/Life Skills was developed for student-athletes to enhance the qualities and skills necessary for their high level of achievement in athletics and academics, applying these skills to "life" situations. The Life Skills program was developed to help student athletes not only make the transition from college to professional life in the work world, but also to make meaningful contributions to their communities by encouraging the development of character, integrity, and leadership skills.
Below are some of the programs the Life Skills Coordinator facilitates.
- Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC)
- Community Service
- Educational awareness programs
- Senior Excellence Program
- Leadership opportunities for student athletes
- Making Wise Beach Choices Program, an alcohol awareness grant through the NCAA (2007-2010)
- Promote student-athletes' ownership of their academic, athletic, career, personal and community responsibilities.
- Meet the changing needs of student-athletes.
- Promote respect for diversity and inclusion among student-athletes.
- Assist student-athletes in identifying and applying transferable skills.
- Enhance partnerships between the NCAA, member institutions and their communities for the purpose of education.
- Foster an environment that encourages student-athletes to effectively access campus resources.
324 Student-Athletes Receive Academic All-Star Honors
The Academic All-Star student-athletes at Long Beach State were celebrated with a pre-game dinner and halftime ceremony at last Thursday's men's basketball home game. Presented by Southern Wine and Spirits of California, the event was attended by academic and campus personnel, corporate partners, select donors, and student-athletes as a celebration of their academic successes.
"Too often success in intercollegiate athletics is evaluated by victories and championships, but we are most proud of those student-athletes who are Academic All-stars demonstrating a commitment to academics and graduation," said Athletics Director Vic Cegles. "To be sure, that is the true measure of an outstanding sports program and a tribute to our coaches and the Bickerstaff Academics Center."
During the 2014 calendar years, there were 324 Academic All-Stars; 197 in the Spring 2014 semester and 214 in the Fall 2014 semester. 87 of those student-athletes were Academic All-Stars in both semesters.
Furthermore, 37 Student-Athletes earned a 4.0 grade point average, while 70 Student-Athletes earned a place on the President's List with a 3.75 GPA or better. 81 LBSU Student-Athletes earned a place on the Dean's List with a GPA between 3.5 and 3.74.
- Player of the Week
Hampson Earns Spot On 26-Man Roster For Team USA06/30/2015 - Baseball
Long Beach State sophomore Garrett Hampson was officially named to the final Team USA Collegiate ...
More Freshman All-America Accolades For Mathewson06/29/2015 - Baseball
A 1.94 ERA while in Long Beach State's starting rotation earns some recognition. That recognition...
Dirtbags In The Pros Update06/26/2015 - Baseball
Since the beginning of the 2015 Major League Baseball season, four more Dirtbags have made their ...
Lombana Drafted By The Twins In The 25th Round ...06/10/2015 - Baseball
Long Beach State junior pitcher Logan Lombana was selected by the Minnesota Twins in the 25th...
Seven 49ers Receive USTFCCCA All-America Honors06/15/2015 - Track
Seven 49ers received USTFCCCA All-America honorable mention recognition for the 2015 NCAA...
Long Beach State Track & Field Wraps up 2015...06/12/2015 - Track
Junior Willie Alexander wrapped up the 2015 NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships for Long...