Welcome to the CHAMPS / Life Skills program at Long Beach State!
WHY HAVE CHAMPS/LIFE SKILLS?
The purpose of the CHAMPS/Life Skills program is to prepare student-athletes for the challenges of life during and after college athletics and guide them toward their graduation day. CHAMPS/Life Skills was developed for student-athletes to enhance the qualities and skills necessary for their high level of achievement in athletics and academics, applying these skills to "life" situations. The Life Skills program was developed to help student athletes not only make the transition from college to professional life in the work world, but also to make meaningful contributions to their communities by encouraging the development of character, integrity, and leadership skills.
Below are some of the programs the CHAMPS Coordinator facilitates.
- Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC)
- CHAMPS Cup (TANTALUM Cup)
- Community Service
- Educational awareness programs
- Senior Excellence Program
- Leadership opportunities for student athletes
- Making Wise Beach Choices Program, an alcohol awareness grant through the NCAA (2007-2010)
- Promote student-athletes' ownership of their academic, athletic, career, personal and community responsibilities.
- Meet the changing needs of student-athletes.
- Promote respect for diversity and inclusion among student-athletes.
- Assist student-athletes in identifying and applying transferable skills.
- Enhance partnerships between the NCAA, member institutions and their communities for the purpose of education.
- Foster an environment that encourages student-athletes to effectively access campus resources.
|Candice Chick Shirey, M.A.
Life Skills Coordinator
(562) 985-8197 fax
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
~ John Wooden