2015-16 Long Beach State Points of Pride
- Dirtbags shortstop, Garrett Hampson, helped Team USA to a series win over Cuba.
- 4 Beach student-athletes are set to participate in the 2015 Pan American Games.
- Dirtbags Alumni and current Major Leaguer, Evan Longoria, headlines the 2015 LBSU Athletics Hall of Fame Class.
- Women's Track and Field has received USTFCCCA All-Academic honors every year since 1997.
- Track & Field Coach Latanya Sheffield has been selected to join the USA staff for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio.
- Three Men's Volleyball alumni represented the United States in the World League Final.
- Two members of the LBSU Women's Golf Team advanced to the U.S. Women's Amateur Championship in the same year for the 1st time in program history.
- Women's Tennis was honored as an ITA All-Academic Team for the 11th consecutive year.
- Multi-Sport star Stanford Brewer is the newest member of Long Beach State's Hall of Fame 2015 inductee class
- Long Beach State Senior Janelle Sua captured the 23rd Annual L.A. County Women's Golf Championship last Friday.
- Women's Tennis was honored as an ITA All-Academic Team for the 11th consecutive year.
- Men's Volleyball pioneer Mark Kerins to join Long Beach State Hall of Fame as a member of the 2015 induction class.
- Men's Golfer Daniel Chian (-8) was the low round amateur at the 2015 Long Beach Open over the weekend.
- 1991 Men's Volleyball team rounds out 2015 hall of fame inductees.
- Long Beach State Women's Water Polo senior Christina Kotsia was named to the Greece Women's National Team, and is participating in the 2015 FINA World Championships, held in Kazan, Russia.
- Long Beach State Track & Field alum and volunteer assistant coach Colin Dunbar was the runner-up in the hammer throw at the NACAC Senior Area Championships in San Jose, Costa Rica.
- Long Beach State seniors Kassidy Teare and Shawnee Martinez travel to Portland, Ore. to take part in the USGA 115th Women's Amateur Championship at the Portland Golf Club.
- Long Beach State Women's Water Polo Senior Christina Kotsia was named to the Greece Women's National Team, and is participating in the 2015 FINA World Championships, held in Kazan, Russia.
- Women's Soccer Freshman Rocio Rodriguez Scores Twice To Earn LBSU Player of the Week Honors
- - Women's Soccer Senior Vania Robles scored the game-winning goal on Friday as record crowd watched Long Beach State stun No. 4 UCLA 1-0.
- Long Beach State Women's Volleyball earned statement win over #25 Duke.
- Fatmata Kamara's first collegiate goal is a golden goal in 1-0 OT win against Bucknell.
- Women's Soccer Senior Melanie Fox earns Big West Player of the Week honors this past weekend by anchoring LBSU's defense in a 0-0 tie against San Diego and with a dazzling hat trick in yet another shutout victory against Portland State.
- Men's Water Polo's Stevenson, Lappas, and Wicken all score hat tricks in a solid victory over No. 14 LMU this past weekend.
- Women's Volleyball Sophomore Ashley Murray dominated with 14 kills, 2 blocks, and zero errors in a clean sweep of Harvard at the Harvard Invitational.
- Women's Volleyball defends Walter Pyramid over the weekend with three solid victories. The Beach lost only one set the entire weekend and now sits at 8-2 for the season.
- Women's Soccer Junior Celeste Dominguez earns Big West Defensive Player of the Week honors this past weekend after leading the Beach to a tough 0-0 tie against USC.
- Over 160 golfers came out to Recreation Park 18 to support the baseball team and upcoming season at the 21st Annual Long Beach State Dirtbag Golf Tournament.
- Women's Soccer Sophomore Ashley Gonzales scored the lone goal in a 1-0 victory Sunday afternoon in a big road victory against #20 DePaul.
- Men's Water Polo Sophomore Lee Griffin led the way with a hat-trick for the Beach in a thrilling, triple-overtime victory against UC Irvine over the weekend.
- Women's Volleyball Junior Nele Barber led the Beach with 16 kills and a career-high 17 digs as the Beach cruised to a 3-0 sweep against Oregon State at the Walter Pyramid. The win also provided Head Coach Brian Gimmillaro with career win #799.
- Congratulations to Women's Volleyball Head Coach Brian Gimmillaro, who picked up his 800th career win on Friday. He becomes only the fourth active coach to accomplish this feat at one institution. The ladies wasted no time getting him win No. 801 as The Beach took down Irvine in their next game.
- Women's Tennis Junior Laura Eales defeated Mercedes Lopes of the host UNLV Rebels, winning the third flight of singles with a 6-2, 7-6 win in the final day of the UNLV Invitational.
- Men's Golf Seniors Michael Chen and Daniel Chian were the top players for the 49ers as both posted their lowest rounds of the tournament on Sunday to tie for 10th at the Golfweek Conference Challenge.
- Based off of key statistics such as graduation rates, assessment of excellence, faculty resources, and alumni giving, CSULB was ranked the No. 5 Public University in the West by U.S. News & World Report.
- Long Beach Women's Soccer opened up Big West play with a thrilling 1-0 victory in OT against Fullerton. Sophomore Ashley Gonzales netted the game-winner.
- Long Beach State Women's Tennis player Maeva Razakasoa had a solid showing at the Riviera/ITA All-American Championships over the weekend, advancing to the Round of 32.
- Women's Golfer Senior Kassidy Teare had an outstanding performance at the Ron Moore Intercollegiate at Highlands Ranch Golf Club this past weekend. With a total score of 208, Kassidy earned individual medalist and her first tournament win as a 49er.
- Congratulations to Women's Tennis team members Maeva Razakasoa, Ebba Unden and Julie Gerard for all winning titles in their respective Flights at the 2015 Beach Tennis Fall Tournament. The doubles pairing of Laura Eales and Hayley Thompson also won the Flight A doubles championship.
- For the 2015 MLB season, the Dirtbags boasted the most starts made by representatives of one university. The Dirtbags edged the Oklahoma Sooners for bragging rights with 71 total Major League starts.
- The 49er Distance Team captured the team title over the weekend at the Highlander Invitational. Juniors Kevin Ramirez and Sam Bautista lead the way with 4th and 5th place finishes, respectively. This victory marks the first team title under 2nd year Distance coach Tom Walsh. Congratulations, Tom!
- Nele Barber, Ashley Murray, and Jenelle Hudson all had outstanding performances for the Women's Volleyball team in a dominating sweep of CSUN. Women's Volleyball takes a 5-2 conference record into their next game vs UCSB, this Friday night at the Walter Pyramid.
- Water Polo celebrated a successful Alumni Day with more than 50 alumni and their families for a great Saturday at The Beach. Festivities began with a hard-fought Men's game against UCSB, followed by two entertaining alumni games at the Lindgren Aquatics Center, and finally capped off with food and beverage in the Walter Pyramid Ukleja Suite.
- Soccer sophomore Ashley Gonzales brought home the game-winner in the final minute of a thrilling, 3-2 win over Hawaii on Sunday. Earlier in the week, the Beach took down CSUN in a hard-fought 1-0 victory. CSUN had previously been undefeated in Big West play.
- Despite falling to an early 2-0 hole, Women's Volleyball came roaring back with wins in 3 straight sets to fend off visiting Cal Poly. Backed by a career night from Nele Barber, the Beach advanced to 7-2 in conference play.
- Women's Golf Senior Kassidy Teare made history for The Beach this past week at the Las Vegas Collegiate Showdown with a six under par score on the final day. By completing the three-day, 54-hole tournament at 16-under 200, Kassidy broke the previous three-day program record score previously held by Kay Hoey by nine shots. Congratulations, Kassidy!
- CHAMPS! After a 2-0 victory over UC Davis the Soccer team claimed the regular season Big West title and clinched the #1 seed for the upcoming Big West Tournament. The Beach will take on #4 seed UC Riverside Nov. 5th at Titan Stadium to keep their outstanding season going!
- Men's Golf senior Daniel Chian turned in a top-5 individual scorecard at the Visit Stockton Pacific Invitational in leading The Beach to a second place (+9) team finish this past weekend.
- With a four-set win over UC Davis (11-14, 6-5 Big West) on Saturday night, Women's Volleyball (19-5, 9-2 Big West) claimed its fifth consecutive victory entering the final three weeks of the conference schedule. Keep it up, ladies!
- Men's Volleyball celebrated an awesome night of Halloween fun on Friday at Keesal, Young, and Logan. A great time full of good people, food and dance, and even better costumes helped raise money for our Men's Volleyball program.
- The Long Beach State Women's Soccer Team earned one of 33 at-large bids to the NCAA Division I Women's Soccer Championship and will head to No. 4 seed Santa Clara for a first-round game at 1 p.m. (PST) on Saturday, Nov. 14. Congrats, ladies!
- he Big West conference announced senior Kassidy Teare as the October golfer of the month. She recorded her first win and a runner up finish by posting 6 straight rounds under par. Her latest performance was highlighted with rounds of 68-66-66 breaking the previous school record by nine strokes.
- Long Beach State went 5-2 in Saturday's action to conclude the Jack Kramer Collegiate Tournament at the nearby Jack Kramer Tennis Club. Ebba Unden, Georgie Sanders, Laura Eales and Julie Gerard each picked up singles wins for the Beach, and the team of Unden and Sanders scored a victory in the 49ers' only doubles match of the day.
- The Beach Athletic Club had a great turnout for the Annual Beach Athletic Club Golf Classic this week. Over 100 golfers teed it up at Virginia Country Club to help raise money for student-athlete scholarships.
- Basketball season is here! After a long offseason the Women kick-off 11/13 against San Diego State, while the Men open their season 11/14 against BYU-Hawaii. Both games will take place in the Walter Pyramid. See you out there!
- Women's Basketball kicked their season off with a bang by securing two dominating victories over the weekend. The Beach handled San Diego State 74-54 in the opener followed that up with a dominating 89-71 victory over Portland State on Sunday.
- Men's Basketball was clicking on all cylinders Saturday, delighting the sellout crowd for Homecoming with a dominating 91-57 win over BYU-Hawaii.
- Men's Water Polo closed out the regular season with a strong weekend, defeating Loyola-Marymount, 10-9 and San Jose State, 13-5.
- Women's Volleyball got back on track over the weekend with a dominating sweep of CSUN, 3-0. The Beach attack got solid contributions across the net with outside hitter Nele Barber, middle blocker Hayley Benson and opposite Peyton Grahovac each recording double-digit kills to pace the offense.
Player of the Week
Jenelle Hudson Leads Long Beach State To Pair Of Sweeps
Senior setter Jenelle Hudson led a solid offensive effort from the Beach, averaging 13.67 assists per set in dominant sweeps of Cal State Fullerton and UC Riverside.
NEXT GAME: Friday, November 27, vs. Pacific
LAST WEEK'S WINNER: Chanterria Jackson, Women's Volleyball
National Champion Keith Goldie To Be Inducted...07/27/2015 - Track
An individual national champion, Keith Goldie is the next 49ers star to join the 2015 induction...
Janelle Sua Wins L.A. County Women's Golf...07/25/2015 - W. Golf
Long Beach State senior Janelle Sua captured the 23rd Annual L.A. County Women's Golf...
Multi-Sport Star Stanford Brewer To Join LBSU...07/24/2015 - Track
Stanford Brewer was an early era star of both Football and Track & Field, and is the next member ...
2015-16 Long Beach State Women's Basketball...07/23/2015 - W. Basketball
The 2015-16 Long Beach State women's basketball team is looking to continue its recent success as...
Men's Volleyball Pioneer Mark Kerins To Join...07/22/2015 - M. Volleyball
Recruited by Ray Ratelle to join the 49ers in the 1987 season, Mark Kerins was the player that...
NBA & Beach Basketball Great Craig Dykema To...07/20/2015 - M. Basketball
Former Phoenix Suns forward and All-Big West forward Craig Dykema is the next selection for...