2014-15 Long Beach State Points of Pride
- 43 Long Beach State student-athletes in 10 different sports were honored by the Big West as 2013-14 Academic All-Conference selections.
- Beach Track & Field student-athletes, Chris Low (800m) and Chris Enriquez (10,000m) will compete internationally as they have been selected to participate in the NACAC U-23 Championships as members of Team USA.
- Dirtbags alumni, Colorado Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, led all National League players in fan voting for the 2014 Major League Baseball All-Star game with 5,349,456 votes.
- Women's Golfer Kassidy Teare fired a 1-over par 72 in the U.S. Women's Amateur Sectional Qualifier at Palos Verdes Golf Club to advance to the U.S. Women's Amateur Championship.
- Men's Volleyball student-athlete Taylor Crabb finished the 2014 season as the NCAA National Collegiate Statistical champion in kills per set, averaging 4.8 kills per set.
- Dirtbag alum and current Colorado Rockies superstar Troy Tulowitzki was voted in as the National League's starting shortstop for the 2014 MLB All-Star Game, the fourth All-Star selection of his career.
- 2012-13 Big West Player of the Year and alum, James Ennis, officially signed with the Miami Heat.
- The NCAA Intercollegiate Tennis Association named Beach Women's Tennis a recipient of the All-Academic Team Award, the 11th consecutive year that the program has achieved a team GPA of over 3.2.
- Dirtbags Junior Infielder, Zack Domingues, leads the Northwoods League in batting (.380) and was recently named to the league's all-star team.
- T&F had six individuals receive 2014 USTFCCCA All-Academic recognition.
- Men's Volleyball alum David Lee was named the Best Blocker in the FIVB World League, leading Team USA to a gold medal.
- Men's Golfer Kevin Lee was the low-shooting amateur at this past weekend's Long Beach Open.
- Former Dirtbag Matt Duffy became the 45th player to be called up to the major leagues. He batted second and started at 2B for San Francisco last Friday.
- Incoming volleyball recruit Sophie Bukovec won the U21 World Championship as a representative of Canada.
- Soccer alum Shawna Gordon is continuing her professional playing career in Sweden with Umea IK FF.
- The 2014-15 Men's Basketball schedule is released and may be the toughest non-conference schedule in the nation.... Again.
- Women's Volleyball was picked to finish 2nd in the Big West this season.
- Chris Enriquez and Chris Low both came away with a medal as members of Team USA at the 2014 NACAC U-23 Championships.
- Women's soccer student-athletes Mimi Rangel and Taylor Nelson were both selected to the preseason Big West 1st Team.
- Men's Water Polo was chosen to finish 5th in the MPSF Preseason Coaches Poll.
- Women's Volleyball will appear five times on ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app this season.
- Sophomore Women's Soccer goalkeeper Ashton McKeown picked up her first career shutout with two saves against 15th ranked Georgetown.
- Women's Soccer swept the weekly Big West Awards, as forward Ashley Gonzales and defender Melanie Fox were named Offensive and Defensive Players of the Week respectively.
- Senior libero Tyler Jackson reached a career milestone in a victory against Southern Illinois with her 1000th dig.
- The Men's Cross Country team kicked off the 2014 season by winning the Mark Covert Classic at Carbon Canyon Park in Brea.
- Women's Volleyball student-athlete Alex Reid was named MVP of the Mizuno Invitational, as the Beach Women's Volleyball team went undefeated on the way to their fifth consecutive victory.
- No. 23 Women's Soccer is unbeaten in their past five matches.
- No. 6 Men's Water Polo team opened the season with a dominating performance at the 2014 Triton Invitational, earning four victories over the weekend.
- Women's Volleyball finished its recent home stand with a 7-1 record.
- Men's Water Polo remained undefeated on the season after winning both games at the Inland Empire Tournament.
- Women's Tennis student-athletes Rozenberg and Gerard claimed titles in their respective flights at the UNLV Invitational.
- Women's Soccer became the first team this year to score more than two goals against FIU, winning the match 3-1.
- Long Beach State Athletics has finalized plans to install the largest wall-mounted video display system in an on-campus facility to be completed in November before basketball season begins.
- Chisolm Okpala set a career best hitting percentage at .909, leading the Women's Volleyball team to a sweep of rival CSUF.
- Men's Water Polo dominated LBCC in the team's first home match of the season, winning 14-3.
- Tennis sophomore Maeva Razakasoa will be moving on to the Qualifying Rounds of the ITA All-American Tournament beginning on Tuesday in Pacific Palisades.
- Women's Soccer defeated UC Santa Barbara for the 5th consecutive time, winning 2-0 on Sunday
- Women's Tennis posted a 29-3 record in its home tournament this past weekend, with multiple student-athletes winning their flight.
- Women's Volleyball remained undefeated in the Big West, defeating CSUN in four sets on Saturday
- Men's Water Polo defeated hosts UCSB 14-12 to win their first conference match
- 6 former Dirtbags are participating in this year's MLB Playoffs
- Women's Volleyball is the lone unbeaten team atop the Big West after beating Hawai'i.
- Junior Kassidy Teare shot 3-over at the Ron Moore Intercollegiate to take 4th place for Women's Golf.
- No. 5 Men's Water Polo went 3-1 over the weekend, taking 5th place at the SoCal Tournament.
- Women's Volleyball student-athlete Bre Mackie was honored as the Sports Imports/AVCA National Player of the Week
- Two Dirtbags alumni will play in the World Series - Matt Duffy playing for the Giants and Jason Vargas pitching for the Royals.
- Undefeated Weekend ... All LBSU teams won their events this past weekend - Women's Volleyball, Women's Soccer, and Men's Water Polo.
- Men's Water polo won their fourth consecutive MPSF conference match against Pacific, 10-4.
- Women's Volleyball defeated UC Davis in four sets to win their 8th straight match.
- Men's Basketball and Women's Basketball were picked to finish 3rd and 5th respectively in the preseason conference poll.
- Women's Soccer has clinched a berth in the Big West Tournament.
- No. 5 Men's Water Polo upset No. 4 Cal 12-10 in Berkeley.
- No. 24 Women's Volleyball remained unbeaten in the Big West after defeating CSUN on the road.
- Men's Golf Junior Kevin Lee carded a 54-hole score of 2-under to finish 7th at the Stockton Pacific Invitational.
- Kevin Ramirez and Tim Bergstrom posted Top-20 finishes Big West Cross Country Championships.
- Women's Soccer heads to their 7th Big West Tournament as the No. 3 seed, facing Cal Poly on Thursday in the Semifinals.
- Women's Volleyball leads the Big West standings by three games after winning at Hawaii for the first time since 1993.
- Women's Soccer claimed four of the six individual All-Big West awards and had a league-leading three first-team selections.
- Men's Water Polo drew a crowd of 759 fans to the Ken Lindgren Aquatics Center for Saturday's game.
- #18 Women's Volleyball can clinch the Big West Championship with a win this weekend.
- LBSU launched its new 60' x 14' video screen, Beach Vision, this past weekend to rave reviews.
- The Ken Lindgren Aquatics Center will host the MPSF Championships this weekend.
- Women's Volleyball has won 14 games in a row and is the outright Big West champion.
- No. 4 Men's Water Polo defeated No. 1 UCLA 5-3, reaching the MPSF Tournament finals.
- Men's Basketball defeated previously unbeaten Kansas State in front of a sold out Walter Pyramid crowd.
Shop for 49ers Gear
at the Long Beach
State Online Store