BEACH PRIDE REFERENDUM
In the Spring of 2000, the students at Long Beach State passed the Beach Pride Referendum which provides additional funds for each of Long Beach State's 18 teams. The new funding will help by paying for tuition, books, and housing for students awarded athletic scholarships, as well as provide additional funds for recruiting, team travel, equipment, sports medicine, strength and conditioning and capital improvement programs. Long Beach State's students now commit nearly $1.8 million towards the athletics department.
HOW MUCH IS BEING FUNDED
Through Beach Pride, the Associated Students allocate additional funds annually to the Sports, Athletics and Recreation Department.
- Over $352,000 for sport operations.
- Over $300,000 for scholarships
- Over $190,000 for capital improvements
- The Associated Students will provide minimum allocations of approximately $225,000 to the campus spirit program (dance team, pep squad, spirit band and Beach Pride Center) and to recreational sports.
SOME OF THE BENEFITS
Thanks to the Beach Pride referendum, here are some of the accomplishments that The Beach have already accomplished and what they can boast about over the next few seasons:
- School records for victories in women's tennis (2000-01), women's soccer (2000) and women's water polo (2001, 2002, 2003).
- Women's golf finished second in the Big West in 2000 and in 2001 won its first tournament since 1994.
- The strongest Big West Conference finish for women's cross country since 1993 (2001).
- Big West Conference Coaches of the Year in: women's soccer, women's tennis, women's water polo, softball, baseball and women's volleyball.
- A nationally-recognized dance and cheer team thanks to the addition of a full-time coach.
- The ability to expand the job pool when hiring for full-time assistants, rather than part-time staff.
- Capital improvements are currently underway or planned in the near future for our tennis courts, soccer field, softball complex, pool, track, strength and conditioning and training rooms.
- An additional 17 scholarships since 2000, as well as an increase in the amount of existing scholarships.
- Additional monies available to recruit the best student-athletes.
- The ability to schedule better road trips and tournaments.
Official Online Store
6/15/2018 - W. Volleyball
LBSU Women's Volleyball Releases 2018 Schedule
6/13/2018 - Baseball
Clayton Andrews Named D1Baseball, NCBWA All-American
6/11/2018 - General Release
Long Beach State To Hold Dan Bailey Sports Medicine Center Dedication This Thursday
6/7/2018 - Track & Field
Women's 4x100m Breaks School Record Once More At NCAA Championship
6/6/2018 - Baseball