2018 Cheerleading and Dance Tryouts
- Goldmine Gym in the KIN building
- Sept. 6, 2018
- Another date may be added for students who are accepted into the University after the tryout date
- Cheer & Dance - 6-10 p.m.
Video submissions must be received no later than Friday, August 31st, 2018. You must send an email asking for the specifications of the video tryout prior to sending in your tryout submission.
- Submit to Spirit Team Coach Rey Lozano at firstname.lastname@example.org
Requirements To Audition:
Hair: In a ponytail, no bows
Top: Sports Bra
Bottom: Cheer; Cheer Shorts or Compression Shorts | Dance; Compression Shorts (no tights)
Shoes: Cheer; Cheer Performance Shoes | Dance; Jazz Shoes
Make-up: Game Day Make-up
Jewelry: Cheer; None | Dance; One post per ear
You will be taught routines and be asked to demonstrate the following:
- Crowd Leading and Free Spirit
- Cheer Dance Skills
- Tumbling (Must be done on gym floor without a spotter)
- Partner Stunting will not be demonstrated until after you make the team and submit your required Physical and University Clearance Paperwork
- You must be able to do an Intermediate High School turn sequence to make the game squad. (Consecutive turns in a row with a double pirouette at the end)
- You will be taught a short Pom Sideline
- You will be taught a short Jazz Routine
- You will be asked to make-up a short 6-8 count routine demonstrating flexibility, turns leaps, gymnastics and any advance solo dance skills and/or tricks
The forms below must be completed and brought to tryouts or sent in with your video submission, along with two photos, a full face photo (1) and a full body photo (2).
- Each Individual participating in the tryout for the Dance and Cheer teams must provide a student ID number prior to tryout.
- Turn in Tryout medical forms by August 30th, 2018.
- Spirit Team Medical Packet
- Spirit Team Medical Packet (Under 18)
- Cheer Application
- Cheer Questionnaire
- Dance Application
- Dance Questionnaire
- Liability Release Form
- Liability Release Form must be completed and submitted to Long Beach State on the day of the tryout prior to any activities being performed. If under 18 years of age, a legal parent or guardian must sign the waiver before submission.
All applicants must bring the Application, Photos, Letter of Recommendation, Coaches Questionnaire and Liability Release Forms to the tryouts.
Medical Packet must be submitted by August 30th to
Assistant Athletics Director, Marketing and Fan Experience
Orientation Meeting - TBD in September 2018.
- Mandatory Meeting and Practice: If you cannot make the orientation meeting, you must email Rey Lozano. If your request is approved you will receive an email back approving you to miss this meeting/practice.
- Each individual is required to pay a $250 Non-Refundable Student Participation Fee due at the orientation meeting.
Spirit Team and Practice Requirements
- Mandatory Spirit Camp 1 - Evening 3-hour Practice July 22 or 23
- Mandatory Overnight Spirit Camp - July 24-25 (This will be a two day and one night stayover camp)
- Mandatory Spirit Camp 2 - August 13-16
- Attend all assigned games and university performances given to you two weeks prior to the event.
- Make All Practices during the first and second semester of the school year
- Cheer: Wednesday and Thursday at 7 p.m.
- Dance: Tuesday and Thursday at 7 p.m.
Competition Cheer and Dance Teams: Tryouts will take place at our second summer camp
- Practices for competition squad:
- Cheer Fall Semester 2018: Sunday, 4 to 7 p.m.
- Dance Fall 2018: Sunday, 7 to 10 p.m.
- Attend every practice in December and January after Finals until the trip to Orlando, Fla. from January 16-January 21st, 2019.
Official Online Store
6/15/2018 - W. Volleyball
LBSU Women's Volleyball Releases 2018 Schedule
6/13/2018 - Baseball
Clayton Andrews Named D1Baseball, NCBWA All-American
6/11/2018 - General Release
Long Beach State To Hold Dan Bailey Sports Medicine Center Dedication This Thursday
6/7/2018 - Track & Field
Women's 4x100m Breaks School Record Once More At NCAA Championship
6/6/2018 - Baseball