April 24, 2014
Long Beach, Calif. -
Long Beach State's spirit teams will be looking to fill the squads for the 2014-15 season, inviting anyone interested to the open tryouts which will be held at the Walter Pyramid on May 6 and May 7.
Those interested in joining the team must have their paperwork filled out PRIOR to the tryout, and be able to attend the mandatory orientation meeting as well as all scheduled events over the course of the coming year.
2014 Cheerleading and Dance Tryouts
- Dance - May 6
- Cheer - May 7
May 22, 2014 - 6-10 p.m.
- MANDATORY or cannot be on team
- $200 commitment fee due at orientation meeting
- Make all games and university performances
- Make All Rehearsals
- Rehearsals are on Wednesday and Thursday
- PLUS Sundays if chosen for competition squad
- Crowd Leading
- Tumbling (Must be done on gym floor)
- Jazz Level 5
- Ability to do elite solo dance skills
What to wear for Cheer and Dance:
- Lycra Half top or Sports Bra
- Cheer shorts or Lycra form fitting training shorts.
- Hair in a Pony Tail...no bows
- Game Day Make Up
- Cheer, Dance, or Training Shoes
All applicants must bring the Application, Letter of Recommendation, Coaches Questionnaire and Liability Release Form to the tryouts.
Cheer will be taught a few sideline cheers. You will be asked to demonstrate jumps and your crowd leading ability. You may show your tumbling skills on a hardwood surface. Tumbling is not mandatory. Stunting will not be reviewed unless you make the team. You will be asked what stunting position you are proficient at.
Dancers will demonstrate skills "across the floor". A short routine will be taught to see how quickly you pick up material. You will be asked to add your own choreography that demonstrates turns, leaps, flexibility, Acro, and overall style and precision.