Definitions to Know
THINGS TO REMEMBER | COMPLIANCE BROCHURE (PDF)
NCAA Rules and Regulations
• Anyone who is or has been a member of any organization promoting Long Beach State Athletics.
• Anyone who has ever made a donation to the Athletic Department, men’s or women’s athletic program, or any booster organization.
• Anyone who has assisted in evaluating or recruiting prospects.
Anyone who has ever helped to arrange or have provided employment to enrolled student-athletes and prospects.
• Anyone who has otherwise promoted the University’s athletics program.
Revocation or Withholding of Privileges
• As a representative of the University’s athletics interests, you are subject to the NCAA, Big West Conference, and Long Beach State rules. Long Beach State is held responsible for your actions.
• NCAA rules mandate that the University withhold any benefits or privileges provided to a representative of athletic interests who is involved with an NCAA violation.
A “prospect” is a student who has started classes for the ninth grade. A student who has not started classes for the ninth grade becomes a “prospect” if the student receives any benefits that the institution does not provide to prospective students in general. The University requests that you treat ALL students as prospects.
A prospect becomes a student-athlete when he/she report for practice or attend his/her first day of class (whichever comes first) at a two- or four-year institution.
A contact is any face-to-face encounter between a prospect or the prospect’s parent or legal guardian and an institutional staff member or athletics representative during which any dialogue occurs in excess of an exchange of a greeting. Any such face-to-face encounter that is prearranged or that takes place on the grounds of the prospect’s educational institution or at the site of organized competition or practice involving the prospect shall be considered a contact, regardless of the conversation that occurs.
Recruiting is any solicitation of a prospect or the prospect’s family by a University staff member or by a representative of the university’s athletic interests for the purpose of securing the prospect’s enrollment at the University and/or participation in the athletic program.
Player of the Week
Ashley Gonzales Is Player Of The Week After Upsetting No. 4 UCLA
Sophomore Ashley Gonzales assisted on the game-winning goal against No. 4 UCLA and finished the opening weekend with a team-best five shots.
NEXT GAME: Friday, August 28 vs. Iowa State
LAST WEEK'S WINNER: Ashton McKeown, Women's Soccer
National Champion Keith Goldie To Be Inducted...07/27/2015 - Track
An individual national champion, Keith Goldie is the next 49ers star to join the 2015 induction...
Janelle Sua Wins L.A. County Women's Golf...07/25/2015 - W. Golf
Long Beach State senior Janelle Sua captured the 23rd Annual L.A. County Women's Golf...
Multi-Sport Star Stanford Brewer To Join LBSU...07/24/2015 - Track
Stanford Brewer was an early era star of both Football and Track & Field, and is the next member ...
2015-16 Long Beach State Women's Basketball...07/23/2015 - W. Basketball
The 2015-16 Long Beach State women's basketball team is looking to continue its recent success as...
Men's Volleyball Pioneer Mark Kerins To Join...07/22/2015 - M. Volleyball
Recruited by Ray Ratelle to join the 49ers in the 1987 season, Mark Kerins was the player that...
NBA & Beach Basketball Great Craig Dykema To...07/20/2015 - M. Basketball
Former Phoenix Suns forward and All-Big West forward Craig Dykema is the next selection for...